• Memoriam wall
    • We've created a memoriam wall to remember our friends
    • If you know someone that battled ALS, please add them here
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doris, I agree that it is an important topic and I'm glad you brought it up. In the early 1990s there was a woman in Canada named Sue Rodriguez who had ALS and was fighting for the right to have an assisted suicide. She took her fight right up to the Supreme Court of Canada but eventually lost the court fight. In the end she did have an illegal assisted suicide. Is euthanasia the right thing for those that wish it? I am not a religious person so I won't comment on that aspect of the debate but I do believe that it should be a personal choice, especially for someone who is suffering from a disease like ALS. I remember at the time wondering what I would do if I were in her situation, and what do you know, now I am. I have had almost 20 years to think about it and I now know that whatever happens it is not for me, I want to live for as long as I'm supposed to even if it's not always comfortable or convenient. I know that it will not be fun, it already isn't for me and anyone who has been on this forum for any length of time has seen the pain and heartache borne by PALS and especially CALS. No one wants to see a loved one suffer and we do everything possible to get and give relief from the symptoms of this horrible disease but in the end this is the road that we have to follow. In the meantime, make the best of every day and try to make someone smile (you hear that SmartAss on Board?) and life can still be worth living. Sorry for the rant, just my opinions on the subject.

And BTW, I like a lot of others on this forum (I think), have my browser bookmark (favourite) for the forum set to "New Posts". When you use the New Posts function the system shows you all of the new posts for the whole forum since you were last signed on. By doing this I am sure that I never miss a post and if it something that I'm not interested in responding to I just open it and then close it and it won't show me that thread again until someone posts to it again. The only drawback to this is you have to stay current or you will have a lot to go through. So no worries, new thread or old, your important posts will be seen by us, and you can bump up an old thread on a topic and we'll catch it.

Barry

hi,
im really sorry to hear abt ur loss... but reading from his attributes described by his better half, i am sure he is in a better place...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back