Diagnosis
11/2017
Country
US
State
TX
City
San Antonio
My husband, Wynn Grendahl, passed away on June 21 on his own terms. He was wearing his Trilogy Evo 24/7 and could’ve be without it for only a few seconds. He said it was time to remove his mask. We contacted his hospice nurse to make him comfortable enough so the mask could be removed with no suffering. Once he was deeply sleeping the mask came off. It took 10 minutes after that. But, what I wanted to share was how he went out. We all had a shot of tequila (his through a straw under his mask) about an hour prior. He wanted to listen to Farm Aide by Queen and was actually singing to it 30 minutes before he was gone. He went out as he lived, on his own terms. None of this negates the fact that I already miss him terribly.

Wynn lived and died his way, with your help. Thank you for sharing -- wishing you much peace and strength in the days ahead.

Best,
Laurie

Reactions: lgg
Oh I love the shot of tequila and some perfect Queen to lift the spirits in his last hour. I wish you peace as you find yourself on the other side. This, I hope, will truly help you deal with the grief in many ways 💚💚💚

• Love
I absolutely understand the "miss him terribly" aspect. But I believe, with all of my being, that... allowing our PALS to complete their ALS journey on their own terms, is one of the greatest gifts we can give to them... and also, they to us. Your description of Wynn's passing echoes our story (minus the tequila... Darcey's would have been Jack Daniels).

I wish you well as you work to find peace and balance on this side of ALS. Please reach out to us if there's any comfort we can help you find.

Jim

• Love
Being able to let him go out on his own terms was a blessing. Queen and tequila, sounds good to me. Wishing you peace as you journey forward. 💕

• Love
Love the tequila shot and Queen. It's a blessing that he was able to go on his own terms, and a blessing for you that you were able to support him. Wishing you comfort and serenity going forward.

V

• Love
I am so very sorry, but thank you so much for sharing. This, to me, is the definition of “finishing well.” May that bring you consolation and peace. Best, Kevin

• Love
Finishing well. I like that. Wynn certainly did. Leslie

On his terms, a shot of tequila, listening to Queen. As Kevin said "he finished well".
Wishing comfort and peace to you. Not only did he finish well being there for him you did well.

• Love
Thank you for sharing this Leslie. Very sorry it had to be this way for you and Wynn, but that is an excellent way for Wynn to call it a day one last time. Wishing you peace as you continue your journey...Jon

• Love
Thank you for sharing! I needed to hear your ending.

Blu, The ending is still being written.

Beautiful. I am so sorry for your loss but so glad that he got to end his journey as he wished.

• Love
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back