Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
SWE
State
-
City
Swe
Hi, I'm a 25 yo male. For about one month I've been tired in the back of my right leg., with a brisk quadriceps reflex in that leg. I have constant fasciculations in my right calf, and a scalloped tongue, that is twitching a bit when extended. I also have somewhat assymetrical shoulders, and my ab muscels seem a bit assymetric.

I've been thinking about ALS for a few weeks but today, when I read about other ALS patients symptoms on this site, I lost my hope it would be something else. =( It feels like my life just ended.

Sorry for the negative post, I just feel wasted. Going to call a doctor tomorrow.

Not so fast

I think you should leave the diagnosis to your neuro. I know that is much easier said than done, but you have your age on your side for starters (only 5% of ALS diagnoses are prior to the age of 30 . . . and the younger you are the better your chances).
Brisk reflexes are not that abnormal in younger people and can be exagerated in those who have anxiety (I'm going to assume that you're anxious at the moment).
Muscle asymmetry is completely normal in most people (sometimes as much as a 10% difference from side to side).
Who doesn't have muscle twitches, especially when you're anxious.
The muscle weakness in your leg could be attributed to about a gajillion things . . . including anxiety.
As for your scalloped tongue: let's have the doc decide if it's actually scalloped.
Hang in there and keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back