Diagnosis
08/2019
Country
US
State
TX
City
Houston
Hello everyone Merry Christmas and Happy New Year’s!
Well I made it through Christmas intact very sore. I’m the Aunt of 20 nieces and nephews and Mom to 2 now 3 with my son in law. This year I had to be creative for gifts make chocolates, brittle, and bath bombs. On top of a nephew in distress had to pull together an army to help a disabled young Vet. I realized how much this disease has sucked my life force. I can no longer use a glue gun or hear gun safely. My husband helped me lift the hot sugar out of the oven. I may not be able to do the treats again my hands have been killing me for days. After helping move a donated couch I couldn’t walk well. Called in more help after that. It’s beautiful how people will step in to lift other folks up. Funny how before this you can just count on doing things I’m learning how to live again or die slowly and really live while I can . We had a beautiful Christmas I feel blessed the realization this could be my last hit me deeply. I’ve been gifted a trip to Europe for Christmas how awesome. This New Year my goal is to take a lot of pictures and make the voice tapes for my kids.

Happy Holidays to you, too, SpeedyMarie. I was also diagnosed this past August, so this was my first xmas as a PALS, too. It hit me hard, though, on Christmas Day -- to the point I begged off going to a big gathering of friends at the last minute. I had struggled to get deviled eggs made and simple gifts put together, and just had a meltdown when trying to button my shirt -- it would have been easier to wear something without buttons, of course, but once the meltdown started, it was too late to stop it. :) A big contributor was my husband died just over 2 months ago after a 6 year battle with Alzheimer's, so a double whammy this Christmas.

Feeling back to normal today -- I tend to have a positive attitude like you and want to make the most of my time left on earth. It's hard to admit we can no longer easily do the things we've always done without even thinking about it. But, humbling that so many people will step in to help us.

Awesome news on your Christmas gift of a trip to Europe! I'm heading to New Zealand with friends in January, then to the Netherlands to see the tulips in early April. Hoping I will still be able to hit bucket list trips to Scotland and Hawaii while I am still ambulatory.

Happy New Year!

Christmas was always my favorite time of year. I've been in this new condo for over three years and this is the first year I've had a tree. It was a small one but I managed to decorate it.....slowly, taking breaks. I put up my nativity scene and a few other decorations.

After I had surgery in my right eye, the party was over. I was tired so I just took it easy during the week of Christmas. I didn't even see my brother but will try this week.

This is the first year I've experience the extreme fatigue that comes with ALS. It ain't fun.

I did play cards today with no glasses and that was pretty cool. In a couple of weeks I'll get my left eye done. I have cousins who want to visit but I hope they don't come until after the NASCAR crowd leaves.

Happy New Year.....I'm glad you're both getting to travel....do it!

It’s interesting to look back and reflect on the past three Christmas’ for me. The first was just before my diagnosis. I remember feeling very confused about how weak I was and exhausted I became. Second year, I gave up the cooking part but could still decorate and wrap gifts (a little). This year I played princess from my PWC while the family did everything. my home Health even wrapped presents for me and the tree was a small table top one. Each year has been great because of the chance to spend time with family. It’s hard early on to realize you need to conserve energy for the important things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back