Diagnosis
08/2016
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Aurora
My father passed away last Wednesday surrounded by his family. Despite all the misery that ALS inflicted on his body, his last few days were very peaceful.

His condition took a drastic downturn in November, after a couple of cycles on Edaravone. We will never know if this was a cause of his decline. He went from walking without a walker to needing a wheelchair in one day! The list of abilities he lost grew from there. We thought he wouldn't make it to Christmas because he started coughing so bad. Somehow he pulled through and even got a little better over the holidays.
After New Years, I think he decided he had enough suffering. Five days before he passed, he fell asleep and only woke up on that last day to look at all of us one last time. It was truly beautiful.

I miss him so much. Our lives were so consumed with helping him these last couple of months, that I even miss ALS as weird as that sounds. I miss picking him up for transfers, getting him in bed, feeding him, putting on his BiPap, rubbing his feet. And of course I will always miss my amazing pre ALS dad...a man who would do anything for his family.

Thank you to everyone on this board for your support and for answering all of my questions along the way.

I'm very sorry to hear about your dad, but happy to know that he was at peace and surrounded by your love. I do understand what you miss, the dad who cared for you and the dad you cared for. He was your dad throughout it all. Much peace and strength to you and your family.

Best,
Laurie

I’m sorry for your loss. Your love for him is so apparent. Best wishes to you and your family.

Miav i am so very sorry for your loss. I’m praying peace for you as you go forward.

Hugs,

Sue

I am so truly very sorry for the loss of your father xxx

I am so sorry for your loss. May peace be with you and your family.

I am so sorry for the loss of your dad. I am so glad he was surrounded by family and it was a peaceful goodbye. I wish you and your family well. It must have been hard to see him struggling in the last few months.

Miav, I am so sorry for your loss of your father. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Sharon

Oh Miav,
I am so sorry for your loss.

Angie

So very sorry. I'm glad you had that last beautiful moment with him.

Wishing you peace.

Sorry for your loss.
Sounds like a peaceful way to go.
Sending good thoughts your way

I am very sorry for your loss. Hugs to you and your family

Miav123, I'm sorry for your father's loss. I too miss the ALS days ...so weird. Maybe because we could show them our love by caring for them, or maybe because we could at least touch and talk to them.
Hope great memories of him and your time together come to mind if/when tough days come.
May he rest in peace.
-Erika

condolences to your family. i was touched deeply by your rememberances. peace be with you and your family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back