Diagnosis
7/2019
Country
SG
State
NA
City
Singapore
This year my father was diagnosed with ALS. I was so busy and shocked for this diagnosed until lately i realized I am having kind of same symptoms.

From past couple of months suddenly my musceles shrink as well as feeling lot weaker and lately i am seeing lot of muscle twitches which stays for few seconds and then gone. It happens everyday but not all the time. Also feeling heavy on shoulder joints.

Went to see GP today discuess all symptoms and recent family history of ALS. He asked couple of blood test need to be done tomorrow. Its possible its not ALS because I have high cholestrol with low testosterone maybe thats causing it and its not ALS.

I was just asking for suggestion if anyone can have some suggetion i should get this or that test as well then I will get it done in one shoot.

Thanks.

I’m sorry for your father’s diagnosis. It’s perfectly natural to wonder about ALS in yourself because it is foremost on your mind. If your father is your only relative with ALS, then it would be extremely unlikely you would have a familial form.

The most important thing is to describe your symptoms to your doctor and let him examine you and run whatever tests he feels are appropriate. We suggest asking “What is wrong with me,” and letting the doctor take it from there. The most important test is the physical exam including strength testing, examination of the joints and joint range of motion. If your strength is normal and you can do everything you could do a few months ago, then there’s no reason for concern.

Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure which you have not described.

Please read this if you have not already done so: Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms!

I am in highly doubts its maybe related to very high stress from couple of years in my body and low testosterone which causing weakness and twitching. But obviously you don't want to rule out the ALS.

I have not experiened any muscle function degrades, its only weakness, shrinking in muscles in legs and arms, and twitching. Like right now when i am typing i am having twitches in my left leg and when i move or stretch my leg it goes away and then again comes back then goes away without doing anything.

So far i know my father is patient 0 in my nearest relatives.

I hope you can get some reassurance quickly. One thing really to think about is that you wouldn't be getting symptoms now, but later at an age more similar to your father. Do let the doctors work on what they think, and try to stay calm as what has you worried in yourself is not sounding at all like ALS.

I am sorry to hear of your fathers diagnosis and hope you can focus on being a big support to him during his time of dealing with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back