03/2021
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Waterloo
Symptoms my dad has been seeing:
- In September he started having problems in going for long walks as he used to due to weekness in left leg.
- In December he started lifting his left leg when he was walking and also his left hand was showing weekness.
- In March his left leg became extremely week where he had couldn't walk without holding something, and his left hand can not completely fold now
My dad has had an EMG done already along with MRIs and blood tests. All the tests came clean and the spine MRI showed the following:
C3-C4: Grade -3 degenerative spondylosis and disc disease with pseudo disc bulge
causing anterior thecal sac indentation. No e/o significant cord compression or
neural foraminal narrowing.
 C4-C5: Block vertebra involving C4-C5. There is no evidence of disc disease or
protrusion, central canal stenosis, or neural foraminal narrowing.
C6-C7: Disc disease with diffuse disc bulge causing anterior thecal sac indentation.
No e/o significant cord compression or neural foraminal narrowing.
C5-C6: Disc disease with diffuse disc bulge causing cervical cord indentation
(towards left side). No e/o significant neural foraminal narrowing.

Then he had an NCS + EMG done which showed the following result:
NCS:
* Distal asymmetrical large fibre motor axonal polyneuropathy / polynewronopathy involving left upper limb (in C8-T1 distribution) and both lower limbs (in common peroneal nerve / L5 distribution left > right).
* Mild deegree of carpar tunner syndrome bilaterally.
EMG:
* Active + chronic denervation in proximal + distal muscles of left upper limb, lower limb distal muscles of right lower limb but sparing thoracic and craniobulbar muscles.
* Neurogenic changes seen in proximal + distal muscles of upper limbs and lower limbs with significant motor unit dropout (left > right)

. Does he have ALS?
Sorry I would have asked these questions more directly to my dads doctor but he is currently in Indian and I am in Canada trying to figure this out.

It would be helpful to see the reports, if you can obscure his details and post them. The full EMG report is important to answering as to ALS.

Best,
Laurie

Hey Laurie, here is the EMG + NCS report

Attachments

• NCV + EMG 15 March 2021.pdf
    9.3 MB · Views: 311
What is really important in this result is the final remarks that this is not a diagnosis but must be correlated clinically.
This means you have to match this with the clinical findings of a physical examination.
Are you able to pay for a phone consult with his doctor to discuss, or be present by zoom or similar at your fathers next visit to ask questions? It would be worrying when you are in another country as there are many parts to the picture.

No EMG table? That's all you got?

Here is another EMG he had done which has a EMG table

Attachments

• new doc 2021-03-26 19.08.28.pdf
    5 MB · Views: 398
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back