Diagnosis
01/2015
Country
US
State
Ny
City
Lancaster
Hi. This is my first time on this site. My dad has PMA. We were just told last week. The doctor said PMA is a form of ALS But just a slower progression. It's early stage. Any suggestions, information , or share what to expect would be appreciated.

sorry your here. you came to the right place for information. your dad is going to need help through time. it was good you got your self started early. in time hes going to need all the understanding and knows what's going on. we don't know how long this road is but were on it together.

Hi there. So sorry about your dad. Feel free to hang out in the caregivers and the general ALS subforums. There is at least one person here who I think technically has PMA but as you said it is generally viewed as slower moving ALS. So the issues are the same. Feel free to ask questions and to share more about you and your dad when you are ready

Unfortunately, what was formerly called "PMA" is increasingly recognized as progressing similar to "ALS" with two exceptions that go slower -- flail arm or flail leg variants. You might ask the doc if he has either of those, or check out the descriptions on line. Apart from those, pts with only lower motor neuron signs at diagnosis (the classical criterion for PMA) gradually add UMN signs and end up about the same place the same time. Sorry to be a downer. If your dad doesn't have FA or FL, your doc doesn't keep up with the literature and shouldn't have told you that and you might want to get a better doc.

The main reason for telling you this is that this thread (PMA) doesn't have much for that reason (PMA is not really used that much these days because it doesn't say anything meaningful, though FL and FA do), so I would check out the CALS forum under the regular ALS forums for yourself, and the PALS forum for your dad, including the "newly diagnosed" thread.

Welcome to the community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back