Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
PA
City
My Oasis
My dad was a top notch guy. A State Trooper for 33 years, a member of the ski patrol at various ski areas in NY State for 20+ years. He was a wonderful craftsman and a real do it yourselfer. He loved tinkering, fast cars and his Harley. Most of all he loved his family. He retired from the State Police and enjoyed his winters being on the Ski Patrol and Summers as a Park Police officer. He had Spring and Fall off each year - what a wonderful retirement life he was leading.

He was a strong man - not meant to live his life in a wheel chair with feeding or breathing assistance. He knew this - this is what made getting diagnosed with this awful disease in Sept '09 disasterous for him. It broke all of our hearts. He put up a good front.

He started seeing various symptoms in early 2009 - all of which he was seeing separate MDs for - finally he met with a neurologist (1 of 7) - first they thought Parkinsons, but his progression was rapid. He would lose his balance every once in a while, then he had to use a cane - then a walker and finally in Sept '09 a wheel chair. They finally settled on a Dx of ALS. He would tell his Dr @ Clinic that he was sick of this diagnosis and wanted a new one.

Over the past month or so he started to lose strength in his arms. On 3/18 - he started to get sick - throwing up - over the next week he was rx'd anti-nausea meds and he told my mom he was feeling better so that they would come to see me the following weekend for my son's 3rd birthday. Dad would stay behind with my cousin who is a RN. On 3/26 he was admitted into the ER - severe dehydration, vomiting, fatigue, etc. The next day Mom was at the hospital with him. He deteriorated quickly - there was no ability to diagnose the cause of the constant vomiting - all labs were coming back in range. However, there was sneaking suspicion that due to his recent loss of function in his arms that his breathing and swallowing reflexes were also starting to deteriorate. We all think that Dad knew this - we all are sure he didn't want to deal with what was coming next (vent, PEG, etc). His ALS book was bookmarked @ the ventilation, PEG and sleeping/breathing chapter.

He was refusing everything - wouldn't wear the bipap - thus wasn't sleeping - he was in various states of delusion which came and went. He developed aspriatory pneumonia while in the hospital. He was telling us he wanted to die (multiple times) - he would stare at me and just say please, please, please over and over again. By Wens 3/31 after much discussion with the MDs and only a few discussion with Dad (as it was clear what he was choosing) - he asked to be taken off his antibiotics, refused a feeding tube, he signed his DNR and DNI and the rest is history.

From Wens - Fri AM by far were the worst days of my life. I spent every minute in his room with tons of other family and friends watching him deteriorate and take the last breaths of his great and wonderful life. On 4/2 @6:21am he took his last shallow breath and was gone. It was a beautiful sunny day.

We will miss him forever and hate that we had to agree with his decisions, but he did not want to put my mom through the torment of caring for him in the final stages of this disease. He also did not want to be locked in his failing body with no quality of life.

We were able to get him transported to and from Burlington VT to have his brain and spinal cord, etc. donated to go to research at Mass General Hospital in Boston. I hope some good comes out of that decision, which was a very important decision for Dad - in the hopes that no one else would have to go through what he and all of the people who loved him had to.

As we plan for his services tomorrow and Wens - we are busy doing all the things that are required to celebrate his life. Tomorrow and Wens are going to be a bear as we celebrate a life that was just taken too soon - that turned our worlds upside down.

RIP Dad - you will live forever in our hearts 2/1/44 - 4/2/10.

i hope some finding will be found and not just for the rest of pals but , for you .. i know thier are no words to comfort you and your family but , do know i am thinking of you and family ...hug's

kedevlin23

Thank you for sharing your Dads story with us. I am so sorry for your loss and all that he and your family have been through. May he rest in peace and your family find comfort in your memories of him.

My wife donated her body also, for the same reason. It's a last heroic effort. We should all be thankful for such generosity. My thoughts are with you and your family tonight.

Dick

kedevlin23, that is so painful. I am so sorry for your loss. For your father, it is a release. I have a friend whose husband did the same. He had an accident and was completely paralyzed. He did not want to be a burden on her, and ended his life. It was heartbreaking for her but she understood the love that drove him to do it.

My husband and I signed up with Research for Life recently. I read about it and liked it. I googled several but knew my heart was set on this particular one. They have someone to answer the phone at all times and was very helpful.

gertrude

I am so sorry for you and your family and of course for your wonderful dad. He was obviously a great father and a brave and caring man.

John

What a hideous disease ALS is. Sounds like your dad was one special person. My mom was diagnosed about the same time as your dad and we are just sick about it. God bless you and your family. Your dad is a peace now.

words are hard to come by at times like this. I am so very sorry for your loss and your pain. You are in my thoughts and prayers. linda

i am so sorry for your loss. This disease takes far too many special people far too soon. Please accept my condolences.

I to am sorry to hear the loss of your wonderful father. It was a wonderful thing he did with the donation. Blessings to you and your family. Josie

My heartfelt sympathy to you & your family on the loss of you father.

Such a tragic loss for you and your family. Your father sounds like a very brave man who demonstrated his love for you right up to the end. Know that love lives on in your heart. Many blessing your way. May God give you grace and strength in the days ahead.

jim

So sorry for your loss. He sounds like he was a wonderful man.

Please accept my sympathies to you and your family in this hard time. So sorry that you had to suffer with this disease. I'm sure that your happy memories of times before this disease struck your father will soon help to make the sorrow a little less.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your dad sounds like such a great guy and you wrote a wonderful tribute to him. It is clear how much you loved him and he knew that and that is a beautiful thing. Sadly I know all too well what you are feeling as I have lost my dad just 8 days before you on March 25th. I know that there are no words to ease your pain, but know that you are not alone. Please accept my most heartfelt sympathies.

Rosella

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back