Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Bra
State
CE
City
Fortaleza
Hello Guys! I admire you all. You are brave people who can understand life better than the vast majority of people.

I'm Brazilian, 23 years old male. I started having pain and a minor weakness in my right arm 15 days ago, and googled my symptom until reach this disease. When i saw "fasciculations" as a symptom , i dont know if i started to feeling this or if i already had this and didn't notice. Being a very anxious person i looked for a neurologist. He laughed at me and told me to stop worrying about silly things. he did some tests and told me I was suffering from anxiety. He scheduled an EMG from the superior members that i dit it yesterday and all results were normal. The curious fact that the exam didn't acuse any fasciculation, althought i have fasciculations not so many but i have!
When i were playing football yesterday i felt a "lump" in the throat that passed away after some minutes and i started to being nervous and the lump came back. I searched a lot of this disease on google and this could maybe realize imaginary symptoms, i really wish it was.
My arm stop to being weak, but i stiil fell fasciculations and a lump in the throat. I dont have problems to swallow and to speech.
I'm very scared and stopped to living my life. Sorry for my bad english. I really wish peace for all the people who's suffers this disease, i pretend to help with als foundations. The panic to think suffering this disease really opened my eyes.

I forgot to say. My fasciculations are difuse. Mainly on hands and legs.

Hello

I don't think you need to worry about als. It is very very rare for someone as young as you to get it and it is a rare disease. It has only been 2 weeks since you noticed these problems and they seemed to come and go. Als does not come and go, it never gets better.

Listen to the dr, you are worried and scared and it is making your problems worse. The more you worry the worse you are going to feel. I would suggest you stop searching the internet about being ill and relax. If in 6 months things have not gotten better then go back to the dr. Meanwhile go enjoy your life.

15 days? I had symptoms 16 months before even seeing my family doctor. Listen to your neurologist for goodness sakes! ( I'm certain he didn't mean to laugh) Can't believe you could even get to see a neuro that quickly and have an EMG to boot!

Nothing you describe sounds anything like ALS. It sounds like anxiety, and that condition luckily is very treatable. Call your GP and explain your fears. There are proven therapies and reliable drugs available to cure you. If you dont seek help, your problem will only grow and you will truly miss out on life.

Get ALS out of your mind - and spit the notion of ALS out of your throat!

My post went to mod, but it was close to what Elaine said.

Thanks for you all. But the EMG only was done on Superior Members. I'm bulbar onset the EMG on superior members acuse something?

I have had problems with anxiety for a long time until now. But i'm uncertain about all of this, because even when i'm calm the feelings still remains!

Olá Caio, Você tem que ter calma.
No Brasil existe uma associação para os pacientes com ELA... tem página no facebook..

Look, perhaps your problem is Anxiety, But since we are not doctors, we cannot confirm anything.

To be honest, a few months ago I was extremely anxious looking for answers too and despite having abnormalities in my tests (EMG, etc.) a lot of people told me to not worry since some of my symptoms were not ALS related and that i should leave the forum.

Guess what? my first neuro didn't diagnosed me with ALS (almost 4 months ago), yet in a recent appointment with another neuro, i got a possible ALS diagnostic... Which one do i believe? Are my Neuros incompetent? How come from a leg cramp (câimbra), it progressed so fast to a dragging foot and on top of that, i developed swallowing issues? Did i have this, long time before as my neck always hurt?

For my case, I cannot answer any of those questions...

For you, I might recommend not to worry until you get clear symptoms and let Time pass...

Jon

Caio, try to relax. You don't have ALS. Your throat and your arm wouldn't have gotten better if it was. Twitching could be tons of things. Take Elaine's advice and treat your anxiety. See a psychologist, and have some talk therapy, etc. You don't have ALS. Take care, and calm down and stop researching ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back