Musings on Pain and Fasciculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kevin.. sorry my EMG in tongue was abnormal. I wish there was a possibility believe me I triple checked! I have been diagnosed at Miami, Holy cross and MGH with bulbar onset. So far speech has been effected no limbs after 2 years of symptom onset. 9 months since diagnosis. That being said I do have muscle waisting in left arm. That is the shoulder that is painful. Lower back seems to be new. Just wondering ALS or me just getting old! Hard to tell😀

I’m the same way with the lower back. I had noticed a couple months before my real symptoms started (fasciculations) that my lower back was unusually stiff. I had never had back issues, and chalked it up to arthritis. That was more than 2 1/2 years ago, and my lower back bothers me much of the time now.

I still have good core strength and can walk fine, but I do think my back muscles are slowly atrophying so they get sore much easier. All the best, Kevin

Kevin that makes sense. I’m still walking fine. But noticed occasional knee soreness and now back. fasciculations started in my tongue and left arm . Left arm now has visual atrophy but not noticeable weakness just pain when I lift it over my head. Rubbed some CBD cream on the back last night , no pain today..who knows😳 something new every day! Thank you for the input!

So I have one more question.. my functional medicine dr. Recommended I use if a Tens unit on my arm muscles to help with pain , strengthen and retain muscle. Has anyone tried this?

You can search tens here for some comments. It may help discomfort. It will not restore strength lost due to dead motor neurons. I have concerns about anyone who tells a PALS they can rebuild ALS affected muscles because it indicates they don’t understand the disease process

Yes Kelly I use a tens machine when I'm sore. It gives me relief from pain for awhile. I didn't spend a lot on the machine on Amazon. I bought a tens 7000. It's lightweight, portable and does what I need for temporary relief.

Thank you Nikki and Lisa. I’ll research it on here. I did buy an inexpensive one at CVS. I was skeptical myself this FM Dr was highly recommended. Figured I would try the clean diet gut health route. That’s a whole other thread and multi questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back