Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
WA
City
Sammamish
Hello I am a 61 year old male. I have had calf muscle twitching for at least a couple of years. I never really thought much about it but In 2020 I was doing a lot of power walking and started to develop a twitch on my left knee (that seems to have resolved itself.) Recently (past couple of months) I had some new twitches on other parts of my lower legs develop. I also have a mild twitch on my tricep and sometimes my left pec. I spend a lot of time on a computer and phone. Some days on my legs I have nothing some days twitching lasts most of the day. At rest with a heating pad it is mitigated and most of the time will stop or at least become very calm. I notice that some times as well it will stop on its own. I go to sleep and the cycle begins again. MRIs revealed that I have degenerated L4/L5 disc with stenosis. So I was thinking I had a lot of nerve compression but the spine surgeon mentioned ruling out ALS today with an EMG. So I have one scheduled. I have not lost strength and have full power in my legs, arms etc. I have all motor skills I just have these twitches.

From what you describe, I am surprised the surgeon would feel an EMG was necessary to rule out ALS, unless you have some other ALS-related signs or symptoms. That said, there is no reason not to have it if he feels it's appropriate.

However, a second opinion is always recommended before agreeing to any interventional spine procedure (injections, minimally invasive/open surgery). I am presuming there would be some other indication for intervention besides twitching if so, but it's a controversial area with high stakes, so that is my best advice.

Best,
Laurie

Last edited:
Thanks for the prompt reply- no there was no other clinical reason or symptom or sign. They tested power and had me do a calf test. He said it looked very good He stated to not worry and that he did not believe this was the case. But since he mentioned it my mind started down the path. The EMG also would help pinpoint compression and where a nerve block could be administered. From what I describe above do my symptoms sound like ALS?

Again, not understanding what the indication for a nerve block would be...but no, they do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back