Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
City
chesire
Hi everyone,

On march 21st i woke up with hand weakness one the left and the right hand. Its in the thenar region of both hands. Since that day I have been experiencing muscle twitches all over my body, apart from my head. These muscle twitches happen every minute of the day, for example my knee was twitching for an hour non stop on wednesday. My hands still seem strong and don't seem to be getting worse. I do feel fatigued at times and this could be due to all the stress I have been having over my symptoms.

I have not had an EMG yet as my doctor found low creatine kinase level in my blood after my first blood test , so they want me to go for another blood test. Im wondering if this could be ALS due to the sudden onset of my symptoms? I also wanted to say that my twitching symptoms only occur when i lay or sitting down doing nothing and not when im walking or doing something standing up. The weakness symptoms in my hand seem worse in the morning and the weakness gets better during the day. Any input on these symptoms please as I have been really worried about ALS lately.

Assuming you're active so this is not a result of muscle atrophy, low CK can be associated with autoimmune diseases like RA and lupus (SLE), both of which can also cause more symptoms in the morning, feelings of weakness, etc. Twitches can sort of pile on and are seldom symptoms in themselves, esp. if they occur only at rest. You might also be experiencing fragmented sleep, which magnifies everything, and might have abnormal limb movement in sleep (like RLS/PLMD) that can also carry over into the day, especially when at rest.

This is a good time to be on point with stretching, nutrition, hydration, and yes, trying to get enough refreshing sleep.

Follow up with your GP, of course, but I don't see any reason to worry about ALS.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks Laurie,

I find your contribuition to this forum amazing and inspiring. Your knowledge really helps a lot of people. Thanks for the advice and for putting my mind at ease.

Many thanks

Celyth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back