Muscle stiffness and fasciculations but no weakness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kdemster

Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
MO
City
Stockton
Hello, I have been having fasciculations for the past month. It started as random twitch in my right shoulder. Then I had some down my right arm, then my left arm, and finally started getting them in my legs. About a week ago, my left leg started to have what I can only call a hotspot: twitching in my thigh that lasted for hours. Shortly after that, about the next day or two, I started feeling stiffness in this leg. Now, just last night, that stiffness has spread to my other leg. The fasciculations haven't continued to happen as often, but this stiffness is concerning me because it is not prompted by exercise or injury. I know this isn't the typical presentation, but could this be ALS in your opinion and should I make an appointment with a neurologist? Thank you for your time and advice.

Hello-

Please read here: Read Before Posting

You ask whether you should make an appointment with a neurologist- why not start with your family doctor? As you will read in the link a above, twitching absent weakness is not something that makes a doctor concerned about ALS. Twitching is so common that it depends on the other issues that come with it. Sometimes it means nothing at all. If you are worried, visit with your doctor.

I'm mainly worried about the muscle stiffness. I just wasn't sure if I should make an appointment if I just have stiffness or if I need to wait to see if it goes away or more symptoms develop.

That's up to you. A month of sore muscles would not be super concerning. You might want to look back over the last couple months and try to recall if you have had any changes in your activities, an illness or the like. If it's worried you enough to consider a terminal disease, I'm thinking a visit your family doctor might help allay those fears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back