Not open for further replies.

Ashleymb2000

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
I would like to start this post by saying i have the most respect to anyone with this awful disease and appreciate any insight..

I’m 22 year old female my grandmother Had als so I do know a bit about it but not much. I’m going to start from the beginning when all my symptoms started to happen

A little over a month ago I started to have this aching pain in my armpit area and would get this weird tingling feeling down my whole arm with a heavy feeling, the next day would be fine and would move to my knee keeping in mind both of these issues were only on my left side (leg/arm) there were lots of other symptoms that I’m not going to go into detail with cause I know they aren't relevant…anyways my doctor ordered an MRI to rule out MS which came back normal I had an X-RAY of my knee which turns out I had osteoarthritis…many blood tests which all came back normal so I moved on with my life….

now here is where my concerns start…i was sitting in bed holding my phone in my left hand and noticed my arm started to feel very weak and sore from just holding my phone so I didn’t think much of it and thought it would go away, I woke up the next morning with muscle pain all in my upper arm and this has been this way for over a week now, driving to work holding the steering wheel in my left hand caused pain in my arm, I have this weird muscle twitch on the side of my hand where the pinky muscle is and what seems like a slight cramp on that side as well I also have these twitches in my thighs and arm I can still move my arm it’s just painful I can grip things, open bottles, use zippers but just have this intense muscle pain…I also noticed my left hand muscle between my thumb and pointer finger looks to have lost muscle in it, my left arm feels weaker (not clinical) over all I’m just experiencing pain and these weird muscle Twitches…so I guess my question is..is this how als progresses? Does it start with muscle pain like this and then slowly just lose all control of the muscle? I’m very nervous and would appreciate any insight Thankyou!!

Hi Ashley
I'm so sorry about your grandmother.
Try reading the post in the resource section at the top of this forum title READ BEFORE POSTING.
It will really help.

ALS never starts with muscle pain like that.

May I ask, how long ago did your grandmother die? Was grandma paternal or maternal, and is the parent in that line still alive and ok?
You see ALS can't skip generations to it's more important how your parent is just now.

I think you need to go back to your doctor for full medical advice as you seem to have a lot going on in just one month for someone your age. I'm sure they will get to the root of it all if you work with them.

Hi Thankyou so much for the reply! My grandma was my dads mom and she died about 12 years ago, my mom said hers wasn’t hereditary but I’m not sure if that was actually tested or not.. my dad is now 60 and still healthy, I do have a follow up appointment with the doctor in 2 weeks so hopefully I can get some answers Thankyou! :)

So your grandmother was 70ish at least? there is zero evidence of FALS and that is very elderly for FALS even the later onset mutations. If she did have such a mutation ( again highly unlikely) it wouldn’t be appearing in you at your age

thanks for the reply, that piece of the situation was invaluable. You can't possibly have ALS developing now as a result of your grandmother.
Please do go see a doctor, have a thorough examination and get to the bottom of what is going on so you can receive the right treatment which could be as simple as some physio and ergonomic changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back