BeeGeePi

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Hello,

I am a 32M. Over the past month or so I have been have general muscle weakness/fatigue throughout my body even though I have not been exercising. Originally it was my hamstrings/calves/triceps but its now in my quads. I noticed my left calf is 1 cm smaller than my right calf and is slightly weaker if I do a calf raise.

I mentioned these symptoms to my neurologist (who I am seeing again Sept 24th) and she said it could be from the topiramate I taking (I stopped taking it). I originally saw the neurologist for daily headaches for 6+ weeks and had a MRI+contrast on my brain which was normal.

My primary care physician ran some blood/urine tests and they came back normal.

Has anyone heard of ALS/PLS affecting someone by having generalized fatigue throughout the body? I think my gait is still normal. Not sure how much of it is just anxiety.

Sorry if my symptoms sound stupid. I am a little freaked out having to wait to see the neurologist again.

Thank you!

No, not until very late stage of the disease when very little muscle remains.

Hello,

Sorry to bother you again, I've noticed in my left hand on my thumb a bit of an indent in the muscle and I was wondering if it could be atrophy.

I have been having some fatigue and pain in my hands.

PXL_20210905_172627284~2.jpg

Attached another image
PXL_20210905_172004472~2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello there-

I'd like to direct you to the Read Before Posting link again.

Two things:

From the Read before link:
Atrophy
Atrophy, or muscle wasting, is a symptom of ALS, but it is best judged by your PCP (primary care physician) or neurologist. If you are trying to judge it yourself, the atrophy must show a measurable difference between left and right sides, or between today and past measurements taken in the same manner (and hopefully by the same person). But remember, no human body is perfectly symmetrical and small differences are normal. Dents, dimples and other indentations in a muscle surface are common and generally meaningless. Also, atrophy generally follows clinical weakness / failure

If you read through all of the many past threads in this particular subforum you will see over and over again the members here state photographs are not helpful. Only your doctor can assess atrophy. Please visit with them if you are convinced you have atrophy.

When You’re Wrong
When you’re wrong and we tell you it doesn’t sound like ALS, don’t fight with us, find new symptoms or try to re-explain your old symptoms. Fighting with us to prove you have ALS, or wanting to have ALS is a sign of a psychological problem that we can’t help you with on this forum.

Last edited:
Posting pictures show nothing. Your pcp should be addressing these concerns.

Edit: Removed my reply.

I commented from pictures. Like the others here... I'm not qualified to
to make a determination from a picture. Show your hand to your PCP.

I know about Split Hand Syndrome... it was determined by a Neuro.

I'd bet your PCP is going to give you good news concerning that issue.

Last edited:
I appreciate the replies. I will probably try to see my PCP ASAP just to make sure it's nothing to be freaked out about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back