Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
IL
City
Pingree Grove
Hi all didnt know where else to go with these issues because no one seems to want to hear me out. Been researching online and started noticing a lot of symptoms line up with possible symptoms of ALS . To keep it short , I am 37/m I had bouts of dysphagia 3 years ago which seems to come and go. About 2 years ago I noticed that I started to have this problem where I will drop items nothing heavy just light everday objects maybe a set of keys maybe a peice of fruit I'm holding. The past week I have had a sudden onset of weakness/cramping in my left bicep and right forearm. The muscles are stuff and will cramp when I use them say to close a house window or when i do a hard stretch. I have had twitching in upper abdomen randomly as well as my lower lip. Im just wondering based on others experiences if this is something that I should pursue having looked at by a doctor or just pass it off as something benign, any help or recommendation would be appreciated thank you, God bless.

ALS does not cause symptoms that come and go. You do need a good general health evaluation. I would start with your primary care doctor and see where that leads. But nothing in your post suggests ALS.

Please read this if you have not already done so:

I can answer just by the heading on your post. Previous dysphagia. People with ALS do not have previous symptoms. When you lose a muscle, it is dead, never to return. So, congratulations, you do not present as having ALS.
Vincent

Thanks for the reply guys , Im a former Marine , have done tons of house painting and have had a lot of head trauma so i know im probably more at risk than others. Yea, I do think the dysphagia was an anxiety issue, I am definitely more concerned with the dropping items and muscle weakness. But, thanks again guys I really appreciate the responses and am learning more about ALS just from looking through these forums. I have seen great courage and hope and it is very inspiring. I will reread the attachment Karen thank you.

Last edited:
Many of us drop things, Ben. There's a difference between that and not being able to lift them at all as you would see in ALS. Nutrition, hydration, sleep, stress and getting enough long stretches are all worth looking at, as are simple carpal tunnel stretches you can find on YouTube. Seeing a PCP as Karen advises, if only to track things, is a good idea as well.

Best,
Laurie

Ye2s Im following up with PCP tomorrow. I just want to say that I see a lot of people come on here with similar symptoms, I think that comes from doing self research online. Typically what comes up as some pf the early symptoms of ALS is muscle twitching , muscle cramps, and muscle weakness not necessarily the type where you literally cant pick things up but ive seen examples of trouble tying shoes or buttoning shirts. Seems like this is what is spawning a lot of these threads. My question is then are these in fact early signs of ALS or are they being misrepresented on the internet? Thanks.

They can be early signs. But they are nonspecific, and when you realize how rare ALS is, the odds are overwhelming that they represent something else. The vast majority of people who post their cases on this subforum end up not having a motor neuron disease despite many of them being certain they have it.

That makes sense given the statistics and thats a very logical approach , thanks. My arm issues have remained all week seems to be worse in my left arm and forearm and now the cramps and twitching are in my legs mainly my left hamstring and calf both of which become very fatigued again in the left leg specifically and when i walk more then say 50 ft. I went to the ER so they could at least do quick bloodwork to rule out electrolytes and what not they also did CT scan to check for stroke or any other abnormalities that a CT would show, that was also normal.

Honestly from my research it doesnt seem like there is any way that a MND would progress this quickly . I get my healthcare through the VA Since Im rated for other disabilities, so Ill be there this week , the arm/leg fatigue plus the cramps and twitching are keeping me up at night which in turn keeps my poor wife up so I figure thats best Instead of sitting here questioning why this is happening and troubleshooting based doing my own research.

Im going to push the issue for testing for an MND is this jumping the gun would you say? Are they even likely to take me seriously given this has only started this week? Im not really in the category of being sure I have ALS or any other type of MND but I am someone that knows my body very well as well as someone that needs answers. You guys are great individuals from what I can tell I have not faced your trials , but I can sense your courage , i have faced much death in my military career I know some of that cross but I also know that is a different animal , thanks for responding I know it is a nuisance at times to have to keep dealing with people googling symptoms and coming up with the worst possible scenarios. God bless all of you, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
While ALS does significantly reduce your life expectancy, it doesn't come on that fast. Anything that fast suggests an infection, viral or otherwise. I'm thinking Guillain Barre syndrome. Same symptomology with a much faster onset. The good news is it's entirely treatable with full or near full recovery
Vincent

Thanks Vincent, yea I have felt almost flu like the last 3 days with dizziness , confusion, shakiness, lack of coordination very slight diarrhea but no sore throat , cough, fever or any other symptoms. Left leg and bilateral arm fatigue/twitching remains , no total failure so as Ive read this means nothing as it pertains to twitching. Im also starting to think of some type of viral infection , making PCP appointment today. I initially came to this forum just because initial symptoms were lining up with ALS/MND based on my own research , hoping this subsides soon which if it is viral should be the case. Thanks all.

postviral neurologic symptoms can linger for many months just fyi

Thx Nikki I will keep that in mind. I wanted to ask , provided all this passes and these odd symptoms are just due to some virus or non MN issue, what can I do to help the ALS community , Embarrassingly I had no idea what ALS was until last week when i started with these issues, it has compelled me to do much research which further compelled me to want to help in some way.

Basically I dont want to do just pop in here get reassured that I dont have ALS and then say peace out guys good luck. I want to help , I want others to help!

Update. Spoke with PCP today he said that any further testing he would do regarding my issues were already done at the ER so he is getting me an appointment with neurology. Will keep this updated after my appointment or if theres any major changes like some type of muscle failure, if only to help others that might be skimming these forums. Thanks all.

Gosh guys , my left hamstring and calf is so weak i felt like i was going to fall earlier today. There is a burning sensation in the leg though which remains when im seated driving seems to originate in the upper left buttock. Im actually moving into the worried category as the tightness in my biceps and body twitching has not ceased along with the leg weakness seeming to worsen. Laying down flat alleviates burning feeling in my leg. I thought maybe sciatica. But Im not sure how that explains the other symptoms in the other limbs. Do you guys have any thoughts on this? This is day 8 of these symptoms. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back