Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
Hi guys.

New member. Love the discussions here.

Does muscle atrophy ALWAYS reflect in weight loss if there's no fat loss and everything is accurately tracked?

No weight loss = no muscular atrophy?

Please read this if you have not already done so: Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms!

The answer to your question is no. Someone can loose muscle mass but gain enough extra fat to keep their weight stable or increased. This has nothing to do with ALS. People can also lose muscle for numerous reasons besides ALS. To name a few: Injuries, disuse, biomechanical imbalance, arthritis, malnutrition, infection, malignancy, metabolic abnormalities.

Do you have a specific question about your own symptoms?

Muscle being denser than fat, yes you do lose weight. Having said that, atrophy happens after muscle failure. If you don't have muscles that don't work you are losing fat. Good for you!

Vincent

And there are two kinds of fat.... hard fat and flubby fat which has more fluid content.
Hard fat is harder to lose. Maybe of our resident doctors can better explain. :)

@KarenNWendyn yep I mentioned losing fat asking if it's possible to lose muscle + not lose fat + not lose weight.

No question about my own symptoms as of now.

Thanks, guys :)

For me, I've been seeing progression & supposed atrophy over 4 months so I'm going to get a DEXA scan and track it every few months so I have accurate figures.

Frankly, we're here for people who have ALS and related disorders, their caregivers, and people who think they might have ALS. I have no idea how a DEXA (bone density test) would relate to a disorder of the motor neurons, and no one else here is in a position to "love the discussions," but all the best to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back