Diagnosis
07/2012
Country
CA
State
B.C.
City
Salmon Arm
So, I am positive that Murphy live at our house, because if anything strange can happen it will. Lets start at last Saturday, Timothy's son's wedding day in Texas. Obviously Tim was unable to attend in person as we live 2000 miles away, but we did attend by Skype. This is very fitting as that is how he and I communicated for over 2 years until he moved here. All started well, Tim all dressed up in his finest, and me with makeup and good clothes on. His son's lap top was front and centre and many came by to say hello and chat until the ceremony began. But 10 minutes into their vows we lost connection, disappointed but understanding, we thought we were going to miss the rest. 5 minutes later we get a phone call, we found out that they had stopped the ceremony right there, fiddled with the lap top then just phoned us so that we could listen to it as they continued. Tim was very touched by this, and in the mean time I fired up my mac as I had a feeling that it was Tim's Lenovo that was acting up. We were able to reconnect to Skype after the ceremony, and asked Tim's youngest son to show us around the reception.
Well he is 16, and like every other 16 year old boy that I know his head is not always in the game, so we spent at least 10 minutes staring up his nose while he walked around. Thankfully his mother noticed and told him to turn it to face away from him. Unfortunately the speaker on the laptop is poor so they couldn't hear Tim, even though he was speaking as loud as he could. Finally I told them we had to go as Tim was really tiring out.

Sunday,Father's day, happy that the wedding went so well and excited because Tim's 16 year old would be flying in at 4:30. The phone starts ringing at 0700 with newly married son wishing him happy fathers day, we get up and I get us both ready for church. I am loading Tim into the van and realize that the side door isn't working because the battery was dead. Note to self, do not leave ramp out on this van because it will kill the battery. We call a friend, but he was already at church and his cell is turned off, so then I call road side assistance. We miss church, second time in a row,but mostly worried about getting the van up and running so that we can drive the 60 mile to pick up his son. Tow company comes in ½ hour and boost us, no charge, covered by road side assistance, and now I have more time to tidy and water my garden. Just before I go out Tim gets another call on his cell from my son, then his oldest brother who had been at the wedding. He goes on and on about some insane drama that occurred there between two sister in laws, and a sister and another sister in law, about a 30 year old slight, and our home phone rings. I answer that and it is my daughter in law, my son 27 is in emergency with chest pain and shortness of breath. He has had 4 open heart surgeries so this is significant, and they live 300 miles away from us, and I can't leave Tim to be there with him. I was beyond frustrated now and sick with worry, and I am hearing Tim's older brother droning on about the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. I tell him that we would have to end the call, so that we could both be available for an update on my son. Now I don't really feel like driving an hour and a half but it has to be done, so I went and started the van early to make sure that we would have enough time to get it boosted again if my luck was still off.

We did take off in time, stopped at Costco to pick up the few things that I had forgotten the last time I was there, and got to the airport with 15 minutes to spare. We got a call while there saying that the doctors didn't think it was his heart, so he was being sent home, to follow up with his cardiologist for an echocardiogram to make sure that his replacement valve wasn't failing. I said a prayer of thanks to God, and we gathered Gabriel up and drove home.

I do not want another weekend like that again.

Paulette

Paulette, the perfect example of Murphy's Law that whatever can go wrong will! Hope the time will come when you can laugh about it all!
I am finding that survival during and after ALS is dependent on laughing at everything that goes wrong in life!
Hope the visit with the 16 year old provides some laughter (along with the frustrations of a teenager!)!
Wishing you a calmer week!

Wow Paulette, so many 'moments' packed into one weekend. You should be clear for a few weeks now at least!

I hope you have a great time with Tim's son, lots of less stressful stories are my wish for you :)

It is nice having Gabe here, and I did chuckle while writing about staring up his nose for 10 minutes. I was able to go down town to pay our property tax, house insurance and get a dog license for our dog. I even stopped and tried on some shoes at my favourite store, and bought some hair colour to brighten up my look.

So my son with the heart problem said that it looks like his valve is great, and the doctor said it was a "swollen tissue, muscle type thing."
Now he is lucky I am not there or I would have smacked him on the back of the head. He could written down what the doctor said! So I asked him if the words intercostal muscle inflammation sounded familiar, and he said, "Oh yah, that was it." I asked him if he asked him about pleurisy as we had talked about the day before, but he forgot. You would think he would be a little bit more aware after being raised by a nurse. Oh well, at least he is OK, and from now on I will make sure I talk directly to his wife, who I know will get it right, she is a dynamo. Thanks for letting me vent, feeling much better now.

Paulette

Paulette when I read the title of your thread I was really hoping the dogs name was Murphy!
That is a lot going on for two days...wow.
How thoughtful is tim's son and your new DIL, stopping the ceremony? Love it.
I'm so glad your son is fine, it must be a real continuing worry for you.
Gabe must be awesome with his dad, you having that free time would have been a real treat.
I too hope there are no more weekends like that anytime soon...
God bless, Janelle x

After that weekend it sounds like you need a nap to recover!

>After that weekend it sounds like you need a nap to recover!

Ditto that!

Holy cow, Paulette! I love that Tim's son and DIL stopped the wedding for you! Also very glad that your son did not have a heart attack! Yes, it sounds like it's time for a break!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back