mum's going to hv PEG-tube ,anybody experience with PEG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lovelovelove

Reason
Loved one DX
Diagnosis
08/2008
Country
nl
State
zeeland
City
terneuzen
my mum chok all the time while eating liqiud food,she is using some baby food,some fine pureed food.
but she choks.
dr ask to put PEG-tube, she is nervious about the PEG-tube.
can somebody tell sth about this?

thanks a lot

linda

Linda; I had a PEG tube put in on Friday and so far it's been a good experience. I too was nervous but lots of people here told me that it's not a difficult operation and they were right. I had a bit of problem with the sedatives they gave me for the procedure but there has been very little pain, only a little bleeding and it's very nice to be able to get the nutrition I need without the choking and swallowing problems. Your mom can still eat whatever she can but the tube really helps.
Barry

Linda - I got my PEG tube six months ago. My weight was down to 127 lbs from 180. I'm back up to 145 and feeling so very much better. Now I can eat a bit if I want but not if I don't, or my throat is particularly bad.
There is some pain at first and you have to find a new rhythm to your daily eating but it is a very simple surgery and for me was a life-saver. All the best.
Dan

My Dad had his Peg put in yesterday. The procedure lasted about 20 minutes and he had no complications. He was sedated rather than given anesthesia. He was very sore last night and was offered good pain meds. Today he says it is just tender and he has started his tube feedings and he has tolerated them well so far. (fingers crossed).
Dana

PEG - go for it

Hi Linda,

as the proud owner of aPEG feeding tube, pls reassure your mom that the procedure is not too bad and definitely worthwhile. Also it is better to get it sooner rather than later.
I got mine 6 months ago and apart from feeds, take yucky medicine and laxatives through it!
I still have a little swallow left so still enjoy sweet things.

The pump and connections are easy for the carer to use, my 7yo little girl loves to feed me!

I stayed in hospital for a week but only because my doc scheduled OT PT , pulmonary tests etc for the same time.

I hope your mother is in good form,

Ellie:razz:

Linda

I got my PEG tube installed on Tuesday. They had planned to keep me in hospital for one day, but something went wrong and I ended up having aspiration pneumonia and I spent 4 days in the hospital.

But it is all cleared up now. I can still eat a bit of solid food, and I drink liquids fairly well, with occasional aspiration, but not all the time. For now, I hope the tube will help me to maintain my weight without feeling pressured to be drinking all the time.

I am very glad that I did not wait to have the tube done. If I had waited until it was absolutely necessary and the pneumonia had happened, I would not have recovered as quickly.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back