Max2525

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
FR
Hello,

My name is Max, I am 23 and I live in France. I know that there are people on this forum who are suffering of ALS or who know relatives who suffer from this disease. I respect the pain of everyone and I present my apologizes if my story could look ridiculous sometimes. I will try to be short.
My symptoms began mid september 2020 where I started to experiment a kind of numbness, especially on the left side. After a week, I started to experiment fasciculations (the numbness I could experience in the left side was still here but not all the time). At the beginning it was on the knee and the feet, but it quickly reached the whole body (eyes, arms, hand, belly and even buttocks or back from times to times). The time passing, I also had a feeling of weakness, especially on the left arm and the left leg. My arms, hands and feet were tremoring when I placed them in tense or in a specific position. Face to these strange symptoms, I did 2 MRI and 1 EMG of the legs in August 2021. The results were negative, despite there was something strange especially on my left leg. From this time, my symptoms in the members didn't really evolve, they didn't decrease but they didn't increase. However, for 1 month, I am experiencing very strange symptoms around the head. Firstly, I have several times in the day where I have a kind of burning in both ears' pavilion. Some day it can be very intense and pretty often, others days not so often. But for almost 2 weeks, I have a kind of difficulty to speak when I am saying something, like if I had a spasm in the throat or a tremor. On the same time, I noticed that my tongue was tremoring too and that I had fasciculations on it. Even if my PCP seemed not worried, I am afraid that I could have ALS and that for 1 month, I began to have bulbar symptoms.
I could also precise that I am very anxious about serious diseases. In February I had a lot of difficulties to sleep and I was worried to have fatal sleep insomnia. On the same time, for more than 1 year, I often suffer from diarrheas and I was worried to have a serious disease (pancreatic cancer...).
Voilà, thank you a lot for reading my story.
Best regards,

Max

ps: My apologizes if I commited some mistakes in English

Hello,

We ask that people read here first: Read Before Posting to make sure their concerns and questions are not already addressed there.

In the above link you will read that sensory issues are not associated with ALS and actually point away from it. This forum is thankfully not a place for you. That is very good news.

It is also very clear that you struggle with health anxiety, please make sure to address this while you continue to work with your doctors to figure out the source of your symptoms. You may find that as you find tools to reduce your anxiety, your physical symptoms may no longer be overwhelming for you.

Please take care.

Max, from what you have posted…

“I did 2 MRI and 1 EMG of the legs in August 2021. The results were negative.”

“Even if my PCP seemed not worried,”

*Looks as though they are telling you not be concerned of ALS.

“From this time, my symptoms in the members didn't really evolve, they didn't decrease but they didn't increase.”

*With ALS symptoms do not fluctuate

“I began to have bulbar symptoms. I could also precise that I am very anxious about serious diseases.”

*You can not self diagnose Bulbar symptoms.

*Very few of your symptoms indicate the possibility of ALS most of all
your suffering from diarrhea.

Just my opinion… you are suffering from severe Health Anxiety that you
need to address with your PCP.

Finally, I have written many times that you only being 23 years old the
odds are greatly in your favor against not having ALS. Do your research
on that too.

Work with your PCP to the things I mentioned above. You are too young
to be burdened with worry with concerns of a rare and terminal disease.

PS. Ooops... didn't know Shiftkicker (a qualified moderator) posted about the
same before me.

Hearing from a venerable member of the forum will hopefully reinforce my less knowledgeable and very brief reply. Thank you for taking the time- the more experienced people who weigh in, the better.

Hello ShiftKicker and Clearwater AL,

Thanks a lot for your responses. You are right, I shouldn't be too much worried about ALS and first of all I should tackle my health anxiety. My PCP is in holidays right now but I will talk with him about that the next time.
Excuse me, I would just have a last question. I noticed that I didn't mention a symptom that it started 2 days ago, I yawn very often at some moments of the days (5 yawning in 10 min for instance). I did a research and it seems that he can happen to people who suffer from ALS. Is it a common symptom usually or not really?
Thanks a lot again.
Best regards,
Max

Please understand that health anxiety is like an itch. You seek to relieve it by asking people for reassurance about your symptoms. Unfortunately, the more you scratch that itch, the worse it gets. We can't help you here with relief from your health anxiety. We can only provide you the information we have already- please re-read the link provided above. I recommend you stop researching here, as it seems to be continuing to make you anxious. Yawning is a perfectly normal body function. You are hyper vigilant about normal body sensations and functions and it's causing you to go to a very bad place.

Please take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back