Diagnosis
04/2015
Country
US
State
OR
City
The coast of
I was searching for something to help with mucus and secretions and ran across this. I wanted to try it before I posted anything. It works great for me. I used to have three or four seasons every morning to remove mucus within a couple of hours of waking. It would be this horrible wet rattling in my chest.

Since taking this I have a single session or two To remove a s Slight wheezing.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8899657

What stuff is it?

Just plain old beta blockers

Chally, Beta blockers are drugs like Inderal (Propranolol), Tenormin (Atenolol), and Lopressor (Metoprolol).

They’re used typically to lower blood pressure or slow heart rate. Someone with low blood pressure or asthma would not do well with these.

The article makes it clear these are under study for mucus with ALS. It might be a good choice if you had ALS with high blood pressure.

Thx folks,
Blood pressure is good but probably pass on this.
I need to find something with little or no side effect
Using atropine drop now with some good results but does cause dry eyes
One drop every six hrs or when I feel like I am drowning

Chally

My normal BP is approximately 110/75. The pharmacist said the biggest danger from low BP is falling, since I am in a wheelchair all the time we figured it was a minor risk.

The other thing is my wife's normal BP is 85 / 55 and she walks around all day with that. The doctors advice was that she should eat more salt.

Brad,

My Brian is on propranolol and it does nothing for his mucous. Just wanted to put that out there. Maybe others have had better luck. He’s on it for his heart rate, to keep it under control so he has an on label use.

Truly sorry to hear that Sue, per the usual nothing works for everyone. For what it is worth I am taking Metoprolol.
Take care,
Brad

I'm going to ask my doctor for this on Thursday. Just curious though, does thinner mucous make for a greater risk of aspiration, or less?

“does thinner mucous make for a greater risk of aspiration, or less?”

I don’t think thinning out the mucus would make you more likely to aspirate it. Mostly, it should make it easier for you to cough up the mucus and get rid of it. I’m assuming you’re using a cough assist at this point.

Make sure you are also taking in adequate water to help thin out the mucus.

There is a heart/mucus relationship if you think about non-allergic (vasomotor) rhinitis. But it does not work the same for everyone.

Mucus problems every morning been using atropine one drop every six hours it dries me up but also dries out eye so use eye drops also

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back