Other
Country
US
State
TX
City
Sugar Land
Dear all,
My mom has been having a very difficult time with mucus accumulating at the back of her throat and not being able to swallow or get it out.
She uses a cough assist once a day which she hates. A suction machine helps a little but not as much as we hoped to. For medication, she takes 2,400 mg of Guaifenesin daily as recommended by her pulmonologist.

I read some articles that suggested tomato juice and Alka seltzers- we tried both a few times but didn't notice much change. Have any of you benefitted from these? If so, please share how much and when do you take these for best results.
We appreciate any other recommendations or resources you can share!

Love and best wishes to everyone <3

I moved this to general because This is a question that can be answered by PALS and CALS. There is quite a bit in previous threads so if you have not already search those while awaiting answers here.

lots of water
Alka seltzer one tablet, sixteen ounce water
pineapple juice recently added
prescription Mucinex

I do all of above and helps somewhat. The only way to really get it out is cough and suction machines two or three times daily depending on need.

Ditto the above recommendations.

Keep in mind that Alka seltzer contains aspirin, and repeated use can cause stomach erosions, ulcers, or bleeding in some people.

Add any kind of soda or sparkling water to that...and, prevention, too, make sure furnace filters/machine filters are clean, and that room and machine humidification are set right. As for juice, some people will do better with apple or grape. And sometimes warm liquids do the most.

Obviously, don't use tomato w/ citrus, etc. -- overdoing the acid. Same for the Alka-Seltzer.

Some people find the Cough Assist does more harm than good. You could try skipping it as an experiment if she has been on it for a while.

Best,
Laurie

For me I find switching up different stuff helps e.g. warm tea,juice,alka seltzer,gulfinesin,atropine,cough assist,suction Machine
There is no one thing that works all the time. Mucus is a big thing with us!
Good luck
Chally

Hi I wanted to reply because this recently became an issue for me. I'm mostly limb onset, but coughing mucus became difficult as well as breathing when i am flat on my back. I chose to drink perrier sparkling water frequently, along with claritin daily to prevent too much mucus. It has worked very well for me so far, and for breathing i just sleep with alot of pillows now! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back