Mucus and breathing issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've seen a really good pulmonologist, ENT, and allergist? I've learned from all 3.

Also see: Choking on mucous

I've also seen lemonade and limeade recommended here.

Does PALS sleep with the head and knees cranked up, or with wedges?

Does PALS use the humidifier part of the bipap?

Cherise. We are obviously not physicians. We don't prescribe meds on this forum. Tom was going through what you are describing. I give him hyoscyamine and mucinex. The lessening of fluids is not the primary purpose of H. But it has been working. I do suction a few times a day, and with these 2 meds the coughing episodes are almost over.

Hyoscyamine also lessens the amount of certain body fluids (such as saliva, sweat). This medication belongs to a class of drugs known as anticholinergics/antispasmodics.

When I had a visiting nurse for 5-6 weeks, with each visit, she would listen to my lungs. If there had been a problem, she would have alerted my primary.

Are the lymphocytes low? You could check the lab results in the portal to find out.

My unscientific observations. If Tom is off his bipap- breathing fine, oxygen fine- he will cough when he goes back on the bipap. He was off bipap for few hours one day and then he coughed for eight hours. That was before we got the hyoscamine.

My brother who has ALS has been having trouble with mucous. He is now looking into the cough assist with suction. I suggested he drink pineapple juice as I read it helps with the mucous. He did say it helps. Our family plans to travel by plane for a reunion in June. He uses a non invasive ventilator at times now. Does anyone know if there is a smaller one that can be rented for travel?
Thanks

I use a Resmed Astral 150 for NIV and really like it. I have travelled with it a surprising number of times and it works just fine for me.

Two of my trips were on airplanes and the Astral 150 went with me in the cabin as carry on luggage.

The Astral 150 has an internal battery good for about 6 hours. Resmed also sells external batteries, each good for an additional 8 hours. I have two of those external batteries and usually take both with me on trips.

One piece of advice is to do a dry run of packing, unpacking, and then using the NIV. On one of our early trips, we left an essential piece at home. I now carry spares in the backpack that came with my Astral 150.

Steve

Thanks for the advice Steve. My brother uses the Resmed Astral as well. I am sure he can pack that for the trip. I will remind him to make sure he packs all the accessories.

The Astral is certainly portable. One reminder, to pick up distilled water when you reach the destination, rather than realizing late at night that you do not have it. Also, I'd make sure there is a medical equipment tag on the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back