Diagnosis
08/2012
Country
US
State
Midwest
City
Small town
Hubby needs your help. He is having thick mucous build up on his tongue. When he eats/drinks as he is on boost, it seems to thicken the saliva. He describes it as then getting caught on his tongue, in his throat and on his vocal cords. It has a choking effect.
We have tried the suggestions of coke and papaya enzemes, which help a little but not enough. He also uses his electric toothbrush on his tongue, and the tongue scrapper. Is anyone else experiencing this? Thanks. Donna

Constantly.
Suction machine works wonders. Cold drinks don't seem to help me either. Can only do sips but hot coffee or hot tea seem to help. Go easy on the sugar and creams though, too much of these can compound the problem

Cough drops have helped me.

Darcey has found that she needs to stay away from most things "dairy"... as it seems to be the catalyst for excessive mucous. Other than that, she's not had a problem eating or drinking. Hope you find a quick solution...

Jim

Thank to all of you for your input. Dalvin, we are trying to get a VA appointment to get the suction machine, as they won't get us one without an appointment- said we need to be "trained" to use it. Neil had mentioned nuedextra as well in a past post. Have any of you had luck with that and the mucous? Again,requires a doctor visit.

I am with Jim and DArcey--we stay away from a lot of dairy. (though he has ice cream every day) Make sure he is getting plenty of water because that will help it stay thinner. also, try drinking hot water with honey and lemon (could make it a weak tea also) that is suppose to cut the mucous also. we tried it once and it seemed to help.

Thanks,Barbie, will try that! Honestly, think the CALS and pals on this forum could form their own ALS clinic to dispense useful advice!

Other things to try:
Hot chamomile tea
Cough drops/lozenges w/ pectin and/or horehound and/or menthol
"Hawking"/coughing, whatever you can manage, before and after eating/drinking
Bump humidity/heat in BiPAP up/down
Cough syrup w/ expectorant

>Hot chamomile tea

Ditto that!

Great ideas. Thanks so much.

I have a lot of trouble in the morning, not at night. I use the cough assist but the phelm comes quickly. Today I just sat at the cough assist machine.

Janie

Did you know the cough assist machine can be used for breath stacking? There is an option to program in that procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back