Reason
Other
Country
AU
State
Victoria
City
Melbourne
Just read in this morning's news the following: "Soy could provide good news for multiple sclerosis sufferers, with research showing a soy-based concentrate improved MS symptoms in animals" "The animals weren't cured but could walk and move with a limp or some weakness, while the animals that received an inert substance couldn't".

The following is from an internet site which I copied and am pasting here.

"A natural substance made from soy appears to have amazing restorative powers when given to animals with a multiple sclerosis (MS)-like disease.

Using an animal model of MS, neurologists at Jefferson Medical College found that giving doses of a substance called Bowmann-Birk Inhibitor Concentrate (BBIC) dramatically improved the animals’ ability to move and walk".

I am going to do some more research on the internet.

Anna

Hi Anna. On the surface that sounds like good news but if you read it closer it says in the first part that a soy based concentrate improved MS symptoms in animals. Later it says that the natural substance appears to have amazing restorative powers when given to animals with an MS (LIKE) disease. So my question would be How close to MS was the disease? Not wanting to rain on your parade here but I have became very skeptical of NEW announcements. AL.

As well, MS and ALS are two different animals. (so to speak)

A few years back, there was some hype about a treatment for MS. ( I can't recall what it was at the moment) I was quite excited as I thought it could also be used in ALS. My Neuro explained that the damage done by ALS is quite different than MS, which deflated that balloon in a big hurry.

Truth be told, there is a large number of facilities all over the world working on ALS, so keep the faith!

Hi Al/Mike

Al, I totally understand your skepticism. However no information ought to be discounted. I merely choose to take the "logical" approach... whatever makes sense is good sense.

Mike, doctors go by the book. Often, it is best to have their opinion but decide for yourself where it counts most and that is - your life. I am not a doctor (I wish I was!) but the way I understand it, is that MS is caused by an "inflamation" of the spine. Inflamation when used in the medical field usually means "infection".

Why couldn't MS (which is part of the family of Motor Neuron Diseases) be a form of ALS? Why couldn't ALS be an aggravation of MS? Also when a bacteria has entered a human without being eradicated, it progresses through stages. These stages change the biochemistry of the body because the bacteria learns to hide and it becomes increasingly difficult to spot in tests the cause of the illness. Why not apply this theory to ALS?

Everything has an explanation and ALS does too. We just have to find it.

For your information, there has been talk (for a while now) that MS is infectious and is passed on to close family members. However, not all who come in contact develop it.

Did you know that most clinics now treat Fatigue Syndrome with high dose antibiotics? Similarly, did you know that some doctors treat Arthritis with antibiotics?

The important thing is to keep abreast of even the minutest information and give it a chance of proving itself wrong. But... what if it is right?

Some food for thought...

Take Care
Anna

mlb said:
Al, I totally understand your skepticism. However no information ought to be discounted. I merely choose to take the "logical" approach... whatever makes sense is good sense.

Mike, doctors go by the book. Often, it is best to have their opinion but decide for yourself where it counts most and that is - your life. I am not a doctor (I wish I was!) but the way I understand it, is that MS is caused by an "inflamation" of the spine. Inflamation when used in the medical field usually means "infection".

Why couldn't MS (which is part of the family of Motor Neuron Diseases) be a form of ALS? Why couldn't ALS be an aggravation of MS? Also when a bacteria has entered a human without being eradicated, it progresses through stages. These stages change the biochemistry of the body because the bacteria learns to hide and it becomes increasingly difficult to spot in tests the cause of the illness. Why not apply this theory to ALS?

Everything has an explanation and ALS does too. We just have to find it.

For your information, there has been talk (for a while now) that MS is infectious and is passed on to close family members. However, not all who come in contact develop it.

Did you know that most clinics now treat Fatigue Syndrome with high dose antibiotics? Similarly, did you know that some doctors treat Arthritis with antibiotics?

The important thing is to keep abreast of even the minutest information and give it a chance of proving itself wrong. But... what if it is right?

Some food for thought...

Take Care
Anna

Hi Anna,

I appreciate your response.

Your right when you say docs go by the book. They also go by years...decades of research and treating us PALS. They go to school for many years to get to where they are so yes! I do put a great deal of faith in what they say.
Having said that, I've been around the block enough to know not to put all my eggs in one basket. I do my own research in addition to what I learn from the docs.

Don't think that my heart doesn't skip a beat when someone cites some possible treatment. Don't think my heart doesn't cry when I find it to be false. I've seen literally dozens of treatments like soy and BBIC...one day one will work!

Back to MS; They are not related.
Read the following sites. The first is from the Center for Neurological Study entitled "ALS, MS, MD-What's the Difference?"
http://www.cnsonline.org/www/archive/ms/ms-04.html

The second is from the National MS Society about ALS.
http://www.nationalmssociety.org/Sourcebook-ALS.asp

If that treatment worksfor MS sufferers, great! If, down the road, they find it works for ALS, fantastic!

In the mean time I'll keep my fingers crossed, my ears to the researchers, my eyes on alternative treatments and my faith in the Good Lord! Not much more I can do than that.

Thanks for raising the topic! It is quite interesting. Keep 'em comin'!:-D

MS vs ALS

Hi Mike,

Yes, doctors go by the book but I have to disagree with your claim that they have spent "years of treating PALS"... treating means curing. As far as I know none have yet been cured? What doctors have been doing is "dispensing" medication!

My brother's neurologist gave up on him the day of his diagnosis. He got out of the doctor's cabinet with a prescription and an emptiness in the soul. He stripped him of every hope... I resent that attitude and I do not call this good doctoring. The battle for him was lost before it began!

It is not in the lab that most discoveries were made. Similarly, I think that it is us PALS and their carers alike that contribute their experiments, their thoughts, their symptoms, their findings and their research on this forum that will eventually crack the answer.

Morale is important. Faith gives us hope and hope gives us tomorrow.

You said it "I'll keep my fingers crossed, my ears to the researchers, my eyes on alternative treatments and my faith in the Good Lord!" That is the spirit.

Anna

Hi Anna. I'm sorry you thought I was discounting your story. Far from it. What I do is take such "new" findings with a grain of salt. A few years ago a company in Alberta had a big "breakthrough" in diabetes. I thought great and invested in stock in the company thinking oh boy they're going to cure my son and I'm going to make some money. The $ 1.35 stock is now worth 15 cents and they are no closer to a cure. So I am a skeptic not a discounter.
AL.

Last edited:
Al, I was merely making a statement. I did not mean for you to take it personally. However, your story of investment in the diabetes cure is typical of many that we have seen in other fields as well. It is common knowledge that this is one way to collect lots of money - list a company on the stock exchange!

No one says that we have to take things at face value. Research the findings, research the research... and come to your own conclusions. I encourage all of you to do this. Keep your research up. Ask your doctors to experiment in things you believe to be of benefit to your health. I Know most PALS want to know what comes next where their symptoms are concerned... rather than live in fear, face it and use it to your own advantage. Try not to let anything demoralise you (easier said than done), when you feel good, say it LOUD "I feel good today!" Chances are, you will feel good tomorrow too. The power of the mind should not be underestimated. I will post a true story in another thread to show you how powerful the mind is.

It takes months for the benefits of a health diet to be felt. Nothing is instant. Consistency, persistence, faith and intelligence in the choices one makes for their health is of utmost importance here.

Oh Al, just like all of you, I want a cure for ALS. We can do it. We just have to concentrate and look for it.

Anna

I agree 100%.
AL.

xx bless you!

The Power of the Mind

One day, a research scientist wanted to investigate the level of tolerance a human body has to sub-zero temperatures. He found a suitable "cool room" in a meat factory which the owners cleared for his purpose.

Dressed in his heavy coat, gloves, a warm hat, boots and notebook in hand, he entered the room and asked to be locked in and not to be let out until the next day.

Left alone, he noticed how cold the room was. He noted it in his book. He sat down and felt his fingers getting cold. He noted "I am beginning to feel the cold". He got up and performed some warming exercises... He felt his body getting colder. He measured his body temperature and found that it was dropping. He noted in the book "My body temperature is lowering and I am beginning to freeze."

He kept noting his body's various changes and reactions to the icy cold room through the night.

The next day, the workmen arrived and unlocked the door. They found the scientist dead. He died of cold. They couldn't understand how. They forgot to switch the freezer on.

Anna

I like this thread. A lively and spirited discussion is just what we need to brighten a cold winter morning. Thanks for all your ideas and opinions. Keep them coming! Cindy

Ok Anna. I know it's not funny and maybe I have a sick (black) sense of humor but I laffed my butt off at that story. AL.

ALS/PD-Dementia

ALS, Parkinson Disease-Dementia are what the Chamorro people in Guam suffered from in the epidemic of the 1950s after World War II.

I am pasting a couple of sites here for you to read. I warn you the Parkinson Disease site is lengthy but makes very interesting reading (similar theory to what I have been sharing here with you).

At least I know I have company. I am not the only one that thinks that ALS is caused by something that was either ingested, stepped on, handled, etc... which would explain why some symptoms begin in the legs, others in the arms and others in the mouth.

http://www.parkinson.org/site/pp.asp?c=9dJFJLPwB&b=99904
http://www.nwabr.org/studentbiotech/winners/studentwork/2004/EM_GA_Chan/history.html

Take Care,
Anna

Hi Al

Yes, I can see why you laughed. I hope you did not miss the meaning of the story though. :-|

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back