Learn about ALS
Country
SWE
State
denmark
City
kopenhagen
Hey guys

I am 24 year old gir that got diagnosed with MS few months ago.I accepted that and moved on with life,but since i found out about my MS i have been spending time on the net reading about everything,and so i stumbled upon ALS

and now i am scared to death,one finger has been hurting more than a month,is that an ALS symtpom'?

what differences are there in early symptoms between ALS and MS?

ps:Sorry for my english its not my mother language

Hi lanasi,

I am sorry to hear about your MS diagnosis.

Your symptom doesn't sound anything like ALS. The main difference in early symptoms is that MS is effecting your sensory neurons, so you might feel pain, numbness, electrical impulses and so on. ALS doesn't present itself with pain in early stages, so rest assured that pain comes from MS or from something else, like using your computer too much etc.

Thank you for your reply,i hope you are right,i did talk to my doctor about this and she was only talking about how ALS affects only "older people",but there is nothing that can tell anyone for sure "you can not get it because you are too young"

Do ALS symptoms disapear or do they stay all the time,becoming worse and worse?

Pozdrav (vidim iz Srbije si :D)

They are not related. I have MS and do have achy pain, numbness and weakness at times that gets better.

Thank you for your reply,i hope you are right,i did talk to my doctor about this and she was only talking about how ALS affects only "older people",but there is nothing that can tell anyone for sure "you can not get it because you are too young"

Do ALS symptoms disapear or do they stay all the time,becoming worse and worse?

Pozdrav (vidim iz Srbije si :D)

The symptoms get progressively worse.

Btw, you are twice as likely to get struck by lightning than to get ALS at your age. It's like one in a million chance.

I am just fine, thanks for asking.

Pozdrav ;)

Thank you for your reply,i hope you are right,i did talk to my doctor about this and she was only talking about how ALS affects only "older people",)

I am 42 and a recent PALS, but I don't consider myself old!

als has appeared in all age groups. it definately does not come and go. talked to a lady at the mall recently and she had ms for 17 years and commented at least its not fatal like and there is help. wishing you success

MS is an auto-immune disease whereas ALS, well...the Researchers still don't have clue what causes it and whether is auto-immune or not.

At least, MS is treatable whereas ALS is not.

NH

ALS isn't an "old disease" I'm 44 and in great shape........well atleast I was before the weakness.

Jodi

I am sorry about your diagnosis.I agree that 40 is not "old".I guess what my doctor wanted to say is,it is an "old dissease" for me(me beeing 24)

I'm 56 , but I feel and walk like a 90 year old at times..

You can live many years with MS symptoms and have a semi-normal life.
MS sometimes has long periods of dormancy which its symptoms don't manifest and then, sometimes has what it's called relapses which means that its symptoms manifest.

There is the wife of a USA Presidential candidate who ran in the 2012 Presidential election and she had MS, but now, she is nearly cured and she is not showing any visible symptoms of this disease.

NH

Yes, I heard his wife has had ms for the last 15 years,she talked about it during his presidential campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back