Loved one DX
Country
Uni
State
SD
City
Sioux Falls
Good Morning,

My mom was recently diagnosed with ALS, then a couple months later she fell and broke her hip. Right now she is in rehab but once she is out, I plan to bring here to live with me to be here caregiver. I live two states away and was wondering if anyone has any advice of transporting someone with ALS over 10 hours. Since the broken hip she is not very mobile on her own and uses a wheelchair, does anyone know of a place I can rent a wheelchair accesible van that I can potentially tranport her in. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to trasnport her?

See if there is a MobilityWorks dealer near you. They rent wheelchair vans. We rented one for a weekend before purchasing one from them.

A quick search and I found this one in Sioux Falls Sioux Falls, Sd Wheelchair Van Rental Location | Accessible Vans of America

There are a couple others that sell and work on them and might be able to help.
Is there a chance that once she is out of rehab, she will be able to transfer, and you won't need the rental? This may allow for things to slow down and you can get her moved.

You might call the local taxi companies and ask about wheelchair capable taxis.

they do exist.

Very sorry to hear about your mom, AMOK. Let us know how we can help. The van is probably a better option than a taxi for a 10 hour trip. If there is a plane or train that goes from A to B, that might be another option.

The best thing about renting a van is that you can take some of her possessions with you that you wouldn't want to ship.

You're a wonderful person for doing this for your mother. I'm sorry she was diagnosed with ALS but glad you found our forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back