Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
IL
City
Chicago
I recently found this forum while searching the internet after some recent unpleasant symptoms. I wanted to see if you could give me some advice, as my anxiety is through the roof.

I had a baby in January and ever since I had him I have had terrible pain in my feet. After 4 months, I saw a podiatrist and he diagnosed me with Planter fasciitis. I received a couple steroid injections into my feet and have been feeling much better.

Until, about three weeks ago I noticed some involuntary twitching in my feet, and two of my toes on my left foot moving on their own. I didn’t think much of it but I also had terrible brain fog and a slurred word here and there. I kept thinking that it was my body recovering from having a baby, and pushed it off as anxiety and just being busier with new baby. Then two weeks ago, I noticed I wasn’t typing real well at work, making lots of mistakes with my fingers, left hand mostly. So with a family history of brain aneurysms, my sister encouraged me to go get checked out. I had a CT scan of brain, which came back normal. Tons of bloodwork done, and all was normal. Also sent me for a EMG of my left leg, which also came back normal.

With in the last 10 days, I noticed my fingers on my left hand have been moving on their own, and there is some numbness/weakness in my hand and wrist. Also tingling up my arm and twitching. I am also experienced twitching all over my whole body, like crazy muscle spasms. Two days ago I noticed some tingling in my left lower jaw, and have since noticed additional slurred speech, twitching of bottom lip and neck pain.

Are these common symptoms of ALS?

This has all come on so fast, but everything I have read points me to it and I am a nervous wreck. I can’t sleep, am having trouble eating, I’m losing my mind. I have three kids and all I can’t think about is not being around to raise them.

Thank you for reading. Any insight would be appreciated. Please help!

Not sure what made you think your symptoms point to ALS. Yes many PALS twitch but so lots of people. Slurred speech is usually something others notice not you. What exactly can your hand not do? Numbness / weakness sounds like a local wrist issue common in mothers of infants- a combo of hormones and body mechsnics during care of a child.

all the sensory ( feeling) issues numbness tingling etc are pointing away from ALS as are your complaints in multiple areas all at once. I don’t know exactly what you mean by fingers and toes moving but that doesn’t sound like ALS either.

Make an appointment to go over all this with your doctor. In the mean time try to get enough rest fluids and decent nutrition and enjoy your family!

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately my symptoms have gotten worse, and all my tests keep coming back normal.

Since my last post, I have had some slurred speech. It comes and goes, and no one else has noticed it. It is mostly when I says my S's. I have also noticed my jaw moves to the right a bit when I say my S's. It's driving me crazy, but I am thinking it's the start of Bulbar ALS.

Here is a list of my other symptoms:
  • Baby in late January
  • After baby I experienced lots of heel pain, tight when I stood up in the morning, and after sitting for long periods
  • Saw podiatrist said it was Plantar Fasciitis (took x-rays) – steroid injections in both heels on May 14th – first saw my second toe moving involuntary
  • Also noticed some involuntary twitching in my feet, and now two of my toes on my left foot moving on their own. I didn’t think much of it but I also had terrible BRAIN FOG and a jumbled word here and there. I kept thinking that it was my body recovering from having a baby, and pushed it off as anxiety and/or just being busier with new baby.
  • Three weeks ago, I noticed I wasn’t typing well at work, making lots of mistakes with my fingers, left hand mostly. With a family history of brain aneurysms, my sister encouraged me to go get checked out. I had a CT scan of brain, which came back normal. Tons of blood work done, and all was normal.
  • Saw my primary on May 21st and she had blood work done, and scheduled EMG. All blood work was normal.
  • Stopped Breastfeeding – last time on May 27th
  • Had EMG on May 28th of just my left leg – said the EMG was normal.
  • Since then, tingling and movement in my left hand. Fingers moving involuntary, and tingling sensation going up my arms to elbow. No weakness, just tingling, Pain in wrist
  • ALL Left toes are now moving involuntary, and a buzzing feeling in my foot.
  • I have experienced twitching all over my body, like muscle spasms, that come and go.
  • Started taking Zoloft and Ativan to manage my anxiety
  • Dry mouth – come and go
  • Popping joints everywhere
  • Tongue spasms – feels weird – slurring of S’s (comes and go)
  • Had brain and spine MRI’s and both were normal.
  • BRAIN FOG
  • left leg feels like I'm walking weird
  • ALL of this has come on in a matter of 4-5 weeks. I am an anxious person, but my ANXIETY AND STRESS are higher than ever because of all these symptoms.

Nothing you’ve posted sounds anything like ALS.

Please read this if you have not already done so: Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms!

ALS starts with something not working. E.g. inability to fasten a button or open a ziplock bag when you could do it previously, or inability to stand on your toes or heels, or slurred speech that others notice. “Feeling week”, numbness, tingling, and pain are sensory symptoms and have nothing to do with ALS. Brain fog and popping joints are not ALS. Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure which you have not described.

You do have anxiety. You do not have ALS. Keep working with your doctors, but you don’t need to be here.

Zoloft + Ativan is unlikely to help brain fog, either, and can worsen buzzing, jerking and the like. With a new baby and a job, I imagine sleep has been hard to come by. Lack of refreshing, uninterrupted sleep is often at least a contributor to the kinds of symptoms you report. Unfortunately, both those rx can disrupt sleep even more.

You do not have to worry about ALS, but try to find a way to make sure you get enough sleep, stretching, hydration and some alone time or whatever helps relieve your stress. When you have a better handle on what issues remain once you set a stronger foundation, you will likely find better ways to manage them.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you for your reply's. I really appreciate it.
I went to the dentist this morning for a check up and she said she could see my jaw moving more in one direction. Again, I am also slurring my S's. Took an x-ray, and said joints look good, must be a muscular issue. Do you think this is something to do with Bulbar?

I second that nope.

So I just had a follow up with my primary care physician. She is referring me to a eurologist who specializes in movement disorders in STL.

While I was at the appt, she tested my reflexes. She said my reflex was absent in my left foot? What does this mean?

This is the leg I had the EMG on three weeks ago and it was normal. Now no reflex. I’m scared as to what that means!

She said my reflex was absent in my left foot? What does this mean?
Usually it doesn’t mean anything. Sometimes reflexes are hard to obtain, particularly the one in the ankle. Occasionally it can be absent from a pinched nerve in the lower back, but usually there are other symptoms if that is the case.

The EMG was normal. You don’t have ALS.
No need to keep hanging out on this forum. I’m sure the visit to the neurologist will reassure you.

My Achilles reflex, back of the foot

So one last question...I have woke up the last two days with a increased gag reflex. Sticking out my tongue has made me sick to the point of throwing up. Have you seen this before?

Still slurring my S’s as well. No trouble swallowing just a heavy tongue and jaw that moves to the right when I say my S’s.

I have bulbar onset. I had no specific trouble with Ss. In fact, it is one consonant that I can usually rely on getting out without trouble. Bulbar starts in the tongue and palate, not with erratic jaw movements. Slurring is obvious and not letter specific. ALS does not start with a gag reflex or any of the myriad other symptoms you perceive. I think you need to stop focusing on ALS. You do not have it and the time you spend here is making your mind work overtime and only feeding into your anxiety. Your body has been through the ringer with pregnancy and childbirth. Focus on your baby and don't spend time here seeking different answers to your same questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back