Movie Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Angels and Demons is a historically inaccurate diatribe against the Catholic Church. But what else is new? The Catholic Church seems to be the only institution that can be attacked without scruples. As a Catholic I am personally offended by this. I think it's disingenuous on the part of Ron Howard to claim that his movie is fiction, but yet in an interview that I saw he talks about the attacks of the Church on the Illuminati, as if it actually happened. Apparently, in the movie the Vatican is attacking the Illuminati long before the Illuminati were actually formally founded. The so-called Illuminati were formally founded on May 1, 1776, in Bavaria, by a Dr. Adam Weishaupt. I guess misrepresenting history and the Church is a tickle that Howard cannot help but scratch.

The entertainment industry is generally, anti-Christian, and Catholicism bears the brunt of such attacks. Seemingly, another premise of this movie is that the Catholic Church is opposed to science and scientific pursuits. In response, one Catholic radio host observes how in the minds of people the Catholic Church is perceived as anti-science because of the Galileo controversy. Again, another misrepresentation. This radio host, argues that instead of opposing science the Church promotes science in the pursuit of truth. After all, scientific discoveries can never contradict God because God is the ultimate and final truth. Below is a list of Catholics who have contributed to science as posted by this radio host in his blog. He prefaces this list with a discussion of the tendency to think only of the Church's opposition to Galileo as proof that the Church is anti-science.

He writes; "Why not these other Catholics of varying degrees of devotion but still of exceptional intelligence and giftedness and blessing to humanity?
Why not Msgr. George Lemaitre, the “Father of the Big Bang theory”?
Or Abbot Gregor Mendel, the “Father of Genetics?”
Or Franciscan Friar, Roger Bacon, the “Father of Scientific Laws?”
Or St. Archbishop Nicolas Steno, the “Father of Geology”?
Or Rene Descartes, the “Father of Modern Rationalism?”
Or Fr. Marin Mersenne the "Father of Acoustics?"
Or Andreas Vesalius, the “Father of Modern Anatomy and Physiology?”
Or Antoine Lavoisier, the “Father of Modern Chemistry”
Or Blaise Pascal, the “Father of Hydrostatics?”
Or Louis Pasteur, the “Father of Pasteurization?”
Or Archdeacon Nicolaus Copernicus, “the Father of Heliocentrism?”
Or Pierre-Duhem, “the Father of the History of Medieval Science?”
Or Fr. George Coyne, the discoverer of asteroid 14429 Coyne?
Or Dr. Martin Nowak, Harvard mathematics and biology where his discoveries in evolutionary dynamics argue that cooperation as much as competition has driven natural selection. "Genes cooperate in cells, cells cooperate in organisms, and individuals cooperate in societies."
Or Guglielmo Marconi, “the Father of Radio?” and recipient of the 1909 Nobel Prize in Physics."

We Catholics are 1 billion strong. It's time we made our voices heard in opposing bigots.

Clint Eastwood's Gran Torino will be out on DVD June 9. We actually did see this in the theatre, and it was very very good. I know some of the critics said it was just stereotypical Clint Eastwood, but I disagree, and even if this were true, what's wrong with that?

I saw Angels & Demons . I enjoyed it a lot. It was entertaining.

Cool. I want to see Angels & Demons as well. I put off seeing The Davinci Code forever, but enjoyed it when I did see it.

This Movie Thread was a great idea, Glen!

Two times this week. The family is taking me to Star Trek . OH YA ... I'm going to enjoy it.

I wonder if that green dancing girl is in it ? :lol:

Ever since I found out that Star Trek is directed by J.J. Abrams (the co-creator of Lost, one of my all-time favourite shows EVER) I now want to see it! I have heard such good things about Star Trek! I am really not a Trekkie but I hear that this is THE movie for the non Trekkie set.

Angel's and Demons for me.

Time to revisit this thread-

OK, I am usually mainstream when it comes to movies- in fact, go to a theatre the most when they announce the nominations for the awards. Otherwise, wait for the DVD to be released.

But, heard some things about "The Hangover"- thought it sounded like a "guy movie"
(versus a "chick movie")- but since it was a rainy day today, we said what the heck!

It will not win an academy award, but it was hysterical! Granted, you should be in a fun mood & it is not for the "prim & proper"; I did LMAO !

Point of reference: I think Glen would love this movie! ('nough said!)

Followed by an early dinner, 2 glasses of wine- what more could a girl want!

OMG ... I have been stereo-typed.

Now I have to watch that movie to see its a good or bad thing.

Hmmmm 7.5 hrs eh .

Anyone up for going to see the latest HARRY POTTER ?

Hopefully , this weekend.

Glen

Glen-

Not about a good or bad thing- I just meant your kind of humor!

Stereotype? hmmm... I ask anyone who sees this movie to tell me if they agree with my assessment!

Ok, I am not ashamed to admit it: I also got the biggest kick out of The Hangover. I heard it was unexpectedly good and went on a spur of the moment, laughed for days. Very good for an escape. Loved the music too, and the way they filmed Vegas. Go see-

I really want to see the latest Transformers and Angels and Demons. I'm also a Harry Potter fan. Loved the books and movies. If you want a really good laugh and aren't offended easily, my comedy pick for a night in would be Little Miss Sunshine.

Saw Star Trek. I loved it and I love the Star Trek movies and was concerned,but they managed to change it and still keep the characters.The same but different. Want to see the new Sherlock Holmes.Also live where only one theater in town.Movies show for 1 week and we get them pretty quick.Star Trek was the first movie in years, can't remember the last one I went too. Asked hubby for a date and he said yes. Oh,yeah, last movie I saw was Mr. and Mrs. Smith. At a drive in yet!

So, Lydia-

Do you agree with me that "The Hangover" is right up Glen's alley?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back