Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
WA
City
Seattle
This Indy Star article, while well-intentioned (and I did not know that Larry Bird's mom had ALS), repeats the misconception that there is nothing between computing by hand or voice, to the need for eye gaze.

A variety of switch-enabled and mouth/head mice are available, that can be used with virtual keyboards (which are customizable and can include mouse panels, to move a set distance in a set direction by activating one "key"). Devices such as iPads can be operated via switches, sticks and "head mousing" as well. No question, some PALS need eye gaze, but not everyone will.

In addition to your clinic and/or ALS orgs, for loaner and used equipment, your state's ATP program may be able to help.

So true! With fast progression there is probably little point in in delaying getting an eye gaze set up, but otherwise there are several ways to make the mouse usable longer. Arm support and increasing the ratio of the cursor movement to the distance you have to move the mouse are the most important steps. A gaming mouse lets you adjust this by changing the CPI (count per inch) movement of the cursor. The same can be done using a software program, Intellipointer. Adding an "elbow roller skate" and free software to do the clicking for you will allow mousing with very minimal strength. Check out my webpage for info on arm support and everything else the makes computer use easier. Computer Tips

Thanks for the info. I was told I should start looking at eye gaze devices but they are so expensive. These are options that allow me to use my current equipment as long as I can.

my husband uses theSmart Nav. he wears a baseball cap and has a reflective dot on the brim. he controls the mouse by slight movements of his head. won't work for everyone, but it is the same idea as the eye gaze only cheaper and he likes it better. uses it with a Dasher on line keyboard and has full access to the internet at all times!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back