Diagnosis
07/2017
Country
US
State
OR
City
Southern Oregon
I found this video which explains how to use a mouse with an iPad for accessibility. Toward the end of the video, he discusses the “tracker pro head mouse with dwell activation.” I haven’t tried it but it sounds like it could help someone with no hand function use an iPad.

Thanks for the info. I really encourage anyone who can move their head to try Enable Viacam before spending any money on a head mouse. For windows, just needs a webcam. Free and absolutely works great. Just spend a bit of time adjusting the settings and practice. I control 2 computers with it. One is my home theater pc hooked up to the TV 9ft away with a zoomed in web cam. No matter what accessible tech you choose it will require some adjustments and practice. Don't expect to be able to get going without a little effort. Some companies can charge $1000 for a head mouse. Someone tries the free version, gets discouraged when it doesn't work right away, gives up, spends money on a similar thing only to be disappointed that everything takes a little time/practice

Last edited by a moderator:
I have read about that. From what I understand, it does allow control, by cycling thru things to click on the screen with a head gesture then selecting the item with another head gesture. I was not under the impression that there was a built in head tracking camera mouse. If there is, I would like to try it, would be great

The TrueDepth camera [that supports head tracking] is supported on iPhone X and later, and iPad Pro 12-inch (3rd generation) and 11" iPad Pro. So you would need one of those for head tracking.

So you're right, I should have specified that older iOS devices are going to be limited natively to use of the head as a switch.

But, also, there are ways to use a traditional or alternative [head, tongue, chin] mouse with those, e.g. the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter (essentially a USB port, that works with any device running iOS9 or later), or the Dock Connector for earlier models, as well as ability switches with interfaces like Tecla. Newer models, of course, have a USB-C port built in.

For those who can use a chin or tongue mouse, I recommend a Tetramouse, which also operates under Bluetooth, which is supported in iOS 13+. Of course, the laptop experience is much better for all alternative mice, and you can make calls there as well via Google Voice, Skype, Facetime, etc. But when on the go, chin controls and ability switches are certainly sufficient to operate iOS devices, depending on mobility.

Thanks for clarification. I currently only have use of my head movement. Not much speech. I use a surface pro (windows tablet) with eviacam head tracking mouse software. I control my android phone thru screen mirroring via USB and vysor software. Everything works very well. Eyegaze control will be used on the surface when the time comes, although I believe my head/neck will holdup for a while. Would there be any advantage for people to use an iPad pro? Current prices for each are similar to start. I always felt that windows, while being more complicated, was also the most versatile and powerful.. Maybe things are changing? Have you spent time with either system? I don't have iPad experience, so I can't speak for that. My windows experience with accessibility options has thus far turned out better than I thought it would. Speaking only with my limited experience, I would recommend a surface pro over an iPad for accessibility. I am interested in others who have experience because the iPad sounds simpler and has the advantage of all the mobile app like home automation, although controlling my android phone thru the surface pro is no problem

I have an Eyegaze Edge computer which can interface with a Mac through special Eyegaze Edge Links (dongles). Apparently these same Links are now approved for use with an iPad provided one has the right type of usb adaptor. I’m hoping to get one, try this out, and will give a report at some point. I’m comfortable with the iOS operating system but am otherwise not particularly tech - oriented.

That would be great, Karen. Anytime I hear about using an adapter on a mobile device, I always want to know if it can be simultaneously charged while using the adapter. This is important, as using the device for accessibility usually involves never turning off the screen for many hours

In re the power source for simultaneous charging, the Permobil USB charger "provides up to 1.5A (at 5V) to effectively charge most devices. The charger features an isolated circuit design for improved safety. By pulling power from the ICS, it prevents battery drainage when the chair is powered off."

Of course, depending on the iPad model, you would need to use a USB-to-Lightning adapter as discussed above.

In re head tracking, for most PALS, the ability to use alternative mice as the disease progresses, and eye gaze if/when it comes to that, seems more important than head tracking per se. So you really want to start with what device(s) you will want to use for what, in what setting(s), and optimize input methods along those lines.

The downside of the Surface (or MacBook) vs. an iPad or smart phone is less portability outside the home. But that may not be important, depending on your lifestyle. Of course, if you can use one portable setup and one that allows for easier app use, that would be the ideal.

I did get the Lightning to USB adaptor today. By hooking it up to my iPad along with the appropriate dongle for the Eyegaze Edge, I was able to use my Eyegaze Edge to generate a cursor signal that I could move using the eyegaze computer. The keyboard on the iPad disappeared and instead I could use the one on my computer.
However there will likely be a very significant learning curve for me. I also want to get the right kind of table mount for the Eyegaze computer so I can put it next to the iPad. I’ll try to post an update report when I get past the learning curve, but it may be a while (I can be a bit of a procrastinator since I can still one finger-type on the iPad).

Note that the adaptor plugs into the iPad in the same port for charging it, so I don’t think one could use the adaptor and charge the iPad simultaneously, unless one had a split cable of some sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back