Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any videos anyone can recommended..our kids are 13 and 14 years old. The ABCs of als was great. I think it may be just a bit over their heads.

Check out Al's Ontario site. I recall they have various manuals, including explaining ALS to children.

There may be s support network on face book. Perhaps Someone else will recall who the contact person is.

Jodiodames also works with kids in the NE US. She may know of some resources for the kids.

My mother in law finally goes tomorrow. Her apt last week got switched. This has been a long few weeks.

Well my wife spoke to my father in law briefly. Confirmation of ALS today.
I am lost as is my wife. We will speak to them tomorrow. I truly hoped that original diagnosis was an error.

Very sorry to hear this. I was hopeful.

Once " it" settles in, do come back here. We are here for you and your wife. If your MIL wants to meet us, we will be welcoming to her too.

So sorry about this news.

I'm so sorry that the diagnosis was confirmed... we're here to answer questions or just lend an ear when needed

Do not scare your children with ALS. They may never have it. Als is a rare disease that you would not recognize on this site because everyone here has had it or a loved one who has it. Remember it is rare! The chances of you children having it is slim to none. Do not worry about trivia!

Don't want to scare the kids..we understand it is rare. We need to explain things to them so they can understand the changes that are going to be visible. They are highly intelligent children that already know grandmas hands don't work so well

So we told the kids. It was tough. With help from this forum and suggestions from als .ca.
My father in law has gutted the on suite bathroom jacuzzi tub and replaced it with a large handicap shower that has a chair in it.
We have signed up for als walk here in Barrie and hope to raise money for research. Its something we can do as a family to try and help.
We found a support group but the meeting was cancelled this month because there was not enough people that would attend which is discouraging

I remember the saying “what a difference a day makes.”* I probably said it a few times as it pertained to my life but never has it been so life changing.* Today I am not reflecting on a difference that a day makes but what a difference two months makes.

In December of 2012 at the age of 66, my Mother Wendy was diagnosed with ALS. A devastating diagnosis as there is currently no treatment, no cure. In the last two months my Mom has lost most of the use of her hands, can no longer lift her arms due to degeneration of her shoulders, is requiring a walker to travel even short distances and now requires a Bi-Pap breathing device to help her breath while sleeping due to muscle deterioration in her diaphragm.

With three letters of the alphabet, my family's life has switched focus from what will we do in the next few years... to what will we do today, from planning fishing and hunting trips.. to planning how to preserve my Mom's independence to do simple things like feed, bath and dress herself for even a few weeks longer.

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (also known as Lou Gehrig's disease) is a fatal neurodegenerative disease. People living with the disease become progressively paralyzed due to degeneration of the upper and lower motor neurons in the brain and spinal cord. Eighty per cent of people with ALS die within two to five years of diagnosis– unable to breathe or swallow.

So little is known about this cruel disease, every penny of money that can be given towards research helps and my recent day spent at the ALS clinic at University Hospital in London has magnified this need.

This year my family and I will be participating in the Barrie Walk for ALS in order to raise as much money towards research and support of patients with ALS. Every dollar makes a difference. If you can help at all please visit my team page at the following link.

2013 WALK for ALS

Sincerely,

Tara Favretto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back