Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
pa
City
greensburg
Hello all I have been reading post for a while now but decided today to register so I can talk to all of you about my 66 year old mother.

She was diagnosed last September it all started with difficulty swallowing then her voice started going. The ALS clinic in Pittsburgh said she had slow progression which gave us all hope, but since then she has got worse. Over the last year she had a few falls and with each fall came a new obstacle. She went from using a walker to nothing but being in a lift chair all day. She has complete loss of her lower body and from us getting her in and out off the lift chair for going to the bathroom or to put her to bed she now has a tore rotators cuff. So now she only has 1 arm that is good so she is completely bed ridden at this point. She has no Bi Pap or feeding tube both of which is her choice. She eats very little since she can not swallow and she may drink 1 ensure a day.

She is on morphine to help relieve the pain on her shoulder as well as a pain patch. They also give her Valium to help relax her muscles. So now when i see her she is mostly sleeping all the time occasionally i can get a smile out of her.

She has a dynovox machine for her to use to communicate with us but at this point she can not even use this it is so hard not to be able to talk to her its so hard to hold back tears when I am with her.

Please pray for her for god to relieve the pain that she is in I dont know if she will even make is to the new year....Only God Knows

Thank you

I am so sorry, tee, for your Mom's problems. My prayers go out to your Mom, to you, and to your family. God bless.

You got it Teee...Praying for your mom now.

I am praying for your mom, your family, and you. Love and peace be with you. You are being very brave and strong.

Praying for your strength and a peaceful passing for your mom.

I'm so sorry for your Mom's condition as well... do you have hospice there with her? Praying for peace and strength for you and your family.

Thank you everyone for the prayers, I spent about 2 hours with her yesterday and was able to get 1 Ensure in her by means of a kid sippy cup.

Yes helenl she has been on hospice since august this was the best thing we could of done.

so sorry to hear about your mom. You are completely correct in your statement that God knows. I will keep you all in prayer .

Thinking of you and your Mom...

Thank you Helen I was there today with my brother and step father. She is still at her home. She is not to responsive she is able to squeeze my hand when I tell her I love her. It is a struggle but I will get through it. She hasn't ate anything for days only only will drink fluid. She is fighting to the last days.

Thank you for thinking of us. I will keep you all posted.

Wishing you strength and comfort as you go through this most difficult time.
Continue to talk to her even when she is unresponsive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back