"Most likely" ALS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to post another political rant so I won't. However, everyone in the diagnostic process with "probable" ALS can ask their doctor to write a letter and use the diagnostic code for ALS. My doctor was willing to do it but didn't have to after I went to Johns Hopkins.

Right now, preexisting conditions are covered when you first apply for Medicare and, again, when you reach age 65. At age 65, you get a do-over and must be accepted into Medicare Supplements without health-related questions (I still think the end stage renal failure is considered.)

Your Medicare won't start until 5 months after you stop working but that doesn't mean you can't get your paperwork in order.

You are probably aware of insurance companies huge lobby effort to do away with preexisting conditions.

So, for others turning 65 this year who are paying outrageous Medicare supplement premiums, you need to re-apply. They won't just reduce your premium (at least Florida Blue wouldn't.) In August, my premium will be reduced from $600 a month to $185 a month. And you can do the application six months prior to turning 65.

At any rate, the politics of health care must be considered when making decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back