Diagnosis
11/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Northbridge
My hospice nurse has suggested the use of morphine under my tongue in extremely small quantity to relax me and make breathing easier. I have not tried this yet, has anyone else used this treatment?

I've known other PALS that do this to alleviate pain and anxiety. All opioids, and some other meds, suppress breathing but using small amounts to make you comfortable is a common practice.

I use CBD oil to relax and alleviate pain. It works well.
Al

Morphine helps with anxiety and pain yes but also in small doses can ease breathing physiologically. It is used a lot in hospice for all kinds of conditions. Too much can depress respiration but starting with a tiny dose and adjusting if/ when needed will allow your team to help you

taking tiny doses regularly is the best way and palliative care are usually really good at managing this. you can get a lot of relief by regular tiny doses, better relief than by letting pain or anxiety build and having to take a single bigger dose. It really does help the breathing done this way :)

Thank you all for the feedback

My husband just began taking a small dose of morphine for air hunger during the day this past week. At night he is on the trilogy. It is working very well for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back