Diagnosis
11/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Northbridge
My hospice nurse has suggested the use of morphine under my tongue in extremely small quantity to relax me and make breathing easier. I have not tried this yet, has anyone else used this treatment?

KimT

Forum Supporter
Extremely helpful member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
08/2015
Country
US
State
South
City
The Beach
I've known other PALS that do this to alleviate pain and anxiety. All opioids, and some other meds, suppress breathing but using small amounts to make you comfortable is a common practice.

Firefighter58

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
05/2014
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Oakville
I use CBD oil to relax and alleviate pain. It works well.
Al

Nikki J

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
Morphine helps with anxiety and pain yes but also in small doses can ease breathing physiologically. It is used a lot in hospice for all kinds of conditions. Too much can depress respiration but starting with a tiny dose and adjusting if/ when needed will allow your team to help you

affected

Guru status reached
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
05/2013
Country
OZ
State
AU
City
lala land
taking tiny doses regularly is the best way and palliative care are usually really good at managing this. you can get a lot of relief by regular tiny doses, better relief than by letting pain or anxiety build and having to take a single bigger dose. It really does help the breathing done this way :)

Don

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
11/2017
Country
US
State
MA
City
Northbridge
Thank you all for the feedback

Rose Bud

Reason
CALS
Diagnosis
03/2020
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Washington
My husband just began taking a small dose of morphine for air hunger during the day this past week. At night he is on the trilogy. It is working very well for him.