Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
US
State
NH
  • For those of you who are side sleepers, what do you do with your arms?
  • For those of you who are back sleepers, presumably upright in a hospital bed or something else, how do you keep from aspirating saliva?

KarenNWendyn

Forum Supporter
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
07/2017
Country
US
State
Oregon
I still have some ability to turn about in bed. For side sleeping, my arms are stretched out in front of me and I cuddle a small pillow between my arms. So if I’m sleeping on my left side, this means my left shoulder rolls slightly in. Left elbow is bent. I can see how that could be a problem for someone with unstable shoulders. A larger pillow up against the back could help take some of the weight off the dependent shoulder. Legs also have to be positioned one in front of the other. Sometimes I have to abandon this position because of too much pressure against the ear that’s on the pillow.

If I roll onto my back.... my mouth is so dry that I haven’t had to deal with aspirating saliva so far.

KimT

Forum Supporter
Extremely helpful member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
08/2015
Country
US
State
South
I sleep on my right side and back. Medical cannabis makes my mouth so dry I often have to drink some water during the night. I can flip around in bed with no problem and usually watch a couple of hours of TV while on my back with a heating pad on before I turn off the TV, flip to my right side and fall asleep. I wake up a few times during the night to pee and I'm usually on my back again when I wake up.

I have a torn left rotator cuff so I'm glad I sleep on my right side. I could never handle sleeping on my left side because it gives me heart palpitations. My left side position is exactly as Karen describes.

ShiftKicker

Reason
DX UMND/PLS
Diagnosis
06/2015
Country
CA
State
BC
I am a side sleeper now. I used to be a front sleeper, but a bipap mask puts paid to that.
I build a careful fortress of pillows- a pillow between my knees and another up higher to keep my arms apart and my shoulder propped up at an angle that reduces pain on my lower shoulder (as Karen and Kim describe!). I use another pillow for my head- with a cut out where my ear may rest to prevent a pressure sore (I don't move my head much at night- the anti-spasticity drugs are good!). A longer body pillow at my back props my head pillow at a comfy angle and my shoulder up, should I flop over backwards at night.

It is quite the procedure, but I appreciate the comfort!