Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Spring
Ok, I posted on here earlier and the responses were greatly appreciated. I just would like to update and see if any of this sounds familiar to anybody. I have the twitching in my arms and legs...I do also realize twitching happens in more than just ALS. I also have a spot in the middle of my back that is numb and the numbness in my face still comes and goes as does the numbness in my right hand. I also feel like three of my fingers are very stiff but they still have strength. When I use my right hand alot it feels like the muscle is pulling, but again not weak. I have tried doing the exercises that the Dr gave me for my "pinched nerves" but it seems to make me feel worse...temporarily.. I also noted before that the muscle in my right leg is more defined than the left, can anybody tell me if that is a sign of atrophy? I am still so scared of what could be happening to me it's taking over and my husband and family think that I am crazy because my PCP told me he was 99.9% sure it wasn't ALS but he's not a neuro. Anyways god bless you all for your patience with those of us ask these silly ?'s.

Hi reneeberry. It is really hard to remain calm while trying to figure these things out. But it is important because becoming anxious and fearful make things worse. If you have anything neurological or muscular it may take a long time to find out what it is so remaining calm and going about your daily activities is probably your best course of action. Good luck and keep us informed! Cindy

Renee,

Like cindy says, neurological problems take time to show their face. It's not easy, not fun and down right makes life horrible. You have to look for the bright things you have to live for (Kids & Husband), live the most of every day, like it's your last.

You need to go to an ALS clinic if your concerned about ALS. These are the experts. Most neuros may only see 1 ALS patient in their entire career, and that's a maybe.......ALS centers diag. about 4 - 5 per week and see about 50 per week, so they know what to look for.

You need to demand an EMG, but they will likely do one at the clinic without you asking. YOu need to amke sure you've had MRI's, as numbness is usually not a sign of ALS.

Come back as often as you need, limit your research, as if your "freaking" it will only make things worse.

You need to get you some meds to help with the anxiety / etc. Wellbutrin worked really well for me, but you need to find the right one for you...... There are several to choose from.

Good luck and hope everything turns out OK, ask us anything you need, we're here for you.

Rgds,

Jamie

I had s;;urred speech for 5 years before the nueros told me ALS and thats becauuse I decided to see a ALS clinic in baltimore MD Because I was strong working babysitting 5 grandkids 3 days a week and able to do to the gym , they called it bulbar palsey which now I find out that that is a symptom of ALS> So until I was unable to work because my speech got worst I dicided to take the bull by the horn and seek a real diagnosed. I must say I was happier with the other diagnosed it wasnt as scarry. So you see it not a diagnosed you get on the first second or even the tenth visit So be prepared Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back