wheeler641

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
indiana
City
dyer
Went to the hospital yesterday to have blood drawn for test for a bunch of things, I should of kept a copy of the requisition so I could remember to ask my doctor about certain things on Monday. When the lab technician saw the papers the doc gave me, she said"wow" I have never seen so many tests being done at one time. They drew 17 vials of blood and she said some of them are being used for more than one test. Well my doc promised me he would find out what my problem was. This is my regular G.P, I go back to see the rheumy on the 5th of march. Well I have one question, he is doing another Lyme titer, I thought the name of the more accurate test for Lyme was called the "Western Blot". When I asked the lab tech about it she said that test is done to test for HIV, huh? I always thought it was for Lyme or am I wrong or was the Lab tech just wrong? margaret

Margaret,

Wow 17 vials of blood are you still standing, I would be so dizzy and light headed.
I think the tech made a mistake.....

Hi Margaret~I had 19 taken at one time. It was a first for the phlebotomist. They started to let me drink orange juice after 1/2 the blood was drawn.

I hope you get some answers.

they also gave me orange juice and graham crackers, I was also fasting for about 14hrs so I was already a little shakey as I did take my diabetes medicine that morning. First thing I did afterward was get coffee, surprised I did not run into anything without it. Usually takes me at least 3 cups and a vicodin just to get moving in the morning. Just hope something shows up with this round of tests, margaret

Margaret, I know what you mean, I think I had 15 vials taken on order from my first neuro. It took the tech forever to get all the labels ready. I know the guy next in line was kicking himself for not budging in front of me when we both tried to enter the lab at the same time.

As for the Western Blot I can only report my ignorant experience. I had some Lyme test that came back positive. The neuro indicated that when that first test is positive they do a second test, called the Western Blot, to confirm or refute. In my case, it refuted the positive test. But I know that Western Blot is a term used to describe a type of lab procedure that can be done in other scenarios, so maybe that procedure is also used in the HIV test.

I just wanted to get the most accurate test possible for chronic Lyme, I had a positive test before and took doxycycline for 2 months. I know for a fact I was bitten by a tick, dug the little bugger out myself, not sure I got the head out(gross huh?)I still have a lump on my leg where I was bitten. Also had the classic rash. I also have been asking questions on a Lyme forum, all of my symptoms seem to match chronic Lyme. From what I was told even though you take the necessary antibiotics for it, it can lay dormant and come back with a vengeance and morph into something called borellis(not sure I spelled that right)which requires an antobiotic IV for a year or longer. I just wanted a test that would give me accurate results. margaret

Margaret, you're a trooper, that's for sure! I hope some of this goes towards an answer for you!

some folks use Igenix labs for testing lymes.

margaret,
You're a true hero! 17 tubes of blood-wow, I think the most I ever "gave up" was about 13 when my rheumy was trying to rule out lupus. Let us know how it all turns out,
take good care dear,
-b

good lord people :shock:

most I have ever given is 5.

I think you are dealing with some serious vampires.

All joking aside . The lyme tests here require two blood tests 10 days apart. (2 vials each)

Hi Glen....Nice to meet you. Sorry for your diagnoses. You have a great sense of humor. The popping 'eyeballs' always make me laugh! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back