Diagnosis
04/2015
Country
US
State
California
City
Los Angeles
I'm always on the lookout for ways to make things easier (and more fun). I recently got an Amazon Echo. Now from anywhere within speaking distance I can get news, music, weather and ask questions, some of which the Echo knows the answers.

Last night we installed Philips hue lux bulbs in some lamps and synced them with the Echo. Now we can turn on and off as well as dim or increase the light via voice commands. It works really well. I now have a noticeable decrease in my aggravation level.

Just thought I'd share in case someone else might find something like this helpful. Now, I'd be really happy if it would comply when I ask it to bring me an opened ice cold beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh now I want one! Thanks a bunch! Seriously other the lights is it lots better than Siri?

There is some crossover with Siri/Google type of things. But, it has different functions as well. One of the things I really like about it is that I don't have to hold it or even be close to it. In fact, I can talk to it from another room and it does what I ask (except for the beer thing of course).

There are other things it can be used for as well. An example would be getting one the smart plugs, plugging it into an outlet, then plugging a space heater into that, and then be able to turn on and off the heat by voice command or phone app. I'm just now exploring a lot of things it can do. For me turning the little switches on lamps has become a disaster so this is been very helpful so far.

Thanks. Please update us as you discover more uses. The smart plug seems to have possibilities. Hmmm...

I so love technology - thanks for sharing, keep adding to this thread please as you hook more things up to it.

I immediately could imagine getting up to the loo at night and muttering for a light to come on. I hate a bright light in the middle of the night, so I could have a light in another room come on just to give that bit of vision and not have had to stumble around going out of my way.

Enjoy regaining some freedom with this. I can't believe we don't coffee making, drink serving robots in this world yet!

I've had one since they came out. Love it. They're always coming out with new and useful ways to use it.
For all the info, check Amazon.
Marty

i am in the dark ages, what's an echo amazon? i hate light switches, my hands are useless. thanks chally

If you go to the web store beginning with a and enter echo into the search box you will see. Commercial links are not allowed here but very easy to find. Or enter those words into your browser search box

Chally, Echo is a device developed by Amazon. If you go to the Amazon website and write Echo in the search at the top you'll be able to find the product. As you scroll down you can see a number of devices that can link to and descriptions for the functions that I can accomplish.

My PALS got one last month - we both love her...Alexa. Another good use that I just discovered today was that you can ask her to spell anything and she will! We also use her for keeping a running shopping list, to do list and telling us jokes - use her several times a day every day!

I am so getting one of these for Steve. Hopefully he does not forget I am here also. lol

It is handy. What's funny is when a commercial comes on TV for the echo and says "Alexa", mine will turn on and respond.

I didn't know about the spelling and jokes. Since I read that in the post above I've given it a try. The jokes are on the camp side but fun nevertheless. And, just for kicks and giggles I’ve asked it some arithmetic problems and it's done pretty well so far.

It's so funny that it responds to the TV. I wonder if it will respond to a mechanical voice. Lots to learn still.

thanks mtzu, i'll start to look into this. love ya chally

This sounds cool. I will have to check it out for steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back