Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ca
City
Pall alto
I know this subject has been covered but in reviewing prior posts, I do not have the answer.

Assuming a compitant experienced doctor doing the EMG on new equipment:

1. If you get a clean result on your right leg, can it turn negative in a few weeks?

2. If symtpms first presented in right leg, and that leg had a clean EMG, can you get a dirty tes on the right arm?

3. Do you have to have all parts of tv body to rule out ALS. Can it be hiding ?

I ask this because my next neuro apt. I was thinking of asking for another EMG on areas not tested.

Thanks

Hi, Beach ... I know there are people on the forum able to answer these questions (I'm not one of them, alas :-(), but since you have an appt scheduled with your neuro, why not ask him/her? I'm not sure how your doctor/patient relationship works, but all my life I have had doctors tell me what tests/procedures need to be done. I've never gone in with a wish list of tests.

If you discuss this with your doctor, not only will you get MUCH more expert advice, but it will help you develop a relationship with the doctor, which really helps in getting good care.

Good luck at your appointment

Beach61 - I am new to the forum so hear goes:: I have had 2 EMG's. From what I understand, the neuro wanted to wait atleast 6 months for a repeat EMG. There are certain results on the EMG that they are looking for. If your EMG was clean/negative, I think that means that there is nothing to worry about. My first EMG showed a possible abnormality in my right leg. Nothing else was abnormal on the right. They did more testing on the right because of the abnormality on the right leg. There was no diagnosis of ALS at that time. However over the next 6 months my physical examination showed upper extremity weakness and an EMG was reordered. That EMG showed changes in my spine, arms and face - aong with my legs. Not all parts of the body have to be involved to be diagnosed with ALS but from my understanding if there is progression then that does help confirm the diagnosis.

1. I think clean may mean normal or negative. Not sure of the terminology on the forum.
2. An abnormal EMG may mean many things. If you don't have an abnormal test on your leg, I would wait atleast 6 months to retest unless you start having more problems with weakness or in other parts of the body.
3. Sometimes the EMG can pick up problems before you start noticing any significant symptoms. Baseline EMG would not be an unrealistic request.

Where did your symptoms start? Good Luck! Teresa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back