Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you tried blended "real food" liquid? Like freeze a banana and then food process/thin it? Also, liquids that are easier to digest than formula, e.g. juice?

Won't change aspiration but to the extent that digestion is an issue, could enable her to tolerate more volume. Would try apple, grape, pineapple, experimenting with the degree of dilution.

Commercial formula wouldn't be at the top of the list for me right now.

--Laurie

Ok, thank you Laurie we'll try that.

Also, her blood pressure is 160/95 with her pulse being 102. Her top half is warm to the tough but her bottom half cool.
She's agitated and very tired, says she feel weak, bit not out of breath right now. She can't fall asleep . We've given her her meds to see if that helps.

Last edited:
Hugs Erika! I hope you all find the right balance for your mom. So hard seeing them uncomfortable and not knowing what to do.

She's trying to tell us what to tell my brother when he comes this weekend, but she gets too tired and can't finish the Sentence. The morphine and lorazepram seem to be finally kicking in.

She said that she doesn't think she'll make it through the night. I hope she just meant it because of how awful she's feeling.

we called her nurse hopefully she'll be here within the hour.

So sorry Erika! I am glad the meds are starting to help though. At least she will be comfortable.

I'm so sorry, Erika. *Big hugs to you*.

Still here. There no more sound to her voice/moans. There is always someone Next to her so we can see if she needs anything. Sleeps on and off but no longer than one or two hours. We've increase her dosis of lo raze pram bit it doesn't seem to so much , especially at night. She looks so tired and weak... :(
-Erika

I'm so sorry Erika xxx

Is she being given nutrition and fluids?

When you say the lorazepam doesn't seem to do much, may I ask what is being given for and what effect or lack of is happening? If you have hospice they should be working hard to keep her in a really good place, that is what palliative care is all about.

Maybe she needs something else - I was using 2 meds for Chris and sometimes I gave them together, sometimes just one to top up, depending on what was going on for him. But except when his bladder filled and he couldn't empty it for some hours, he was very calm and relaxed and peaceful.

Don't be afraid to keep titrating doses upwards, either in amounts or frequency as keeping her comfortable is the only aim.

Many hugs to you.

Erika - I'm thinking of you and hoping you are able to find peace for you as you search for it for your Mom.

Hugs,

Sue

Hugs Erika! Thinking of you!

Let us know if there is any way we can help, Erika.
--Laurie

My mom may be in the last week maybe two
- She woke up having difficulty to breath, her oxygen reads 89-93 and her pulse was as high as 133bpm. We gave her her meds and her pulse is now between 113-110. Her oxygen drops to 89 then up to 93. Blood pressure : 90/70

- She's taking morphine for air hunger, every he as needed and lorazepam for anxiety and agitation every 2hrs. We're giving her. Nurse is working with with dose and strength of meds to get her to a confortable state. I think we got it. She finally slept more through the night and is now napping.

- She's refused feedings, so she's only had about 120ml of her jevity (she refused anything else) and about 300ml of water a day for the past 4 days. Urine output is darker but daily still. Her bowel movements are more far apart and darker as well.

-She's been veeey anxious, agitated, confused and like shes doesnt really kniw what she wants or needs. Meds only seem to take the edge off at times, especially at night.

*-She was sleeping on and off for 15-20 minites. Its as if she is fighting to stay awake, besause she does look so tired. Last night, she was able to sleep 2-4hrs and today she has slept most of the day.

-She doesn't want to be alone and has asked my sister to lay by her, or stay awake slwhile she sleeps. She want to be taken to her recliner and back to bed several times a day and contantly asked to be readjusted, reclined or elevated. So of course we do. Can't imagine how she must feel right now, so anything to keep her comfortable.

-She's down to 100lbs from the 120 she weighed back in april.

* Yes, definitely,* our goal at this time is comfort and to keep our promise that she won't die feeling like she's* sufocating. Thank you guys for your words of encouragement.

P.s. ALS sucks!!

You are doing everything possible. Holding your hold virtually. Peace to all of you

Many warm hugs to you.
I hope for her sake it is very fast now - do not be afraid of the meds, no one would want to have anything held back now. It is very normal for amount and/or frequency of her medications be changed daily as they must be adjusted to suit her. This is really normal so don't let it worry you if this happens.

Also don't worry about nutrition. The more you put any calories or fluids into her, the longer you drag this all out for her. She will not be hungry as such and you can use cool swabs in her mouth and balms on her lips for feeling dry.

I also did a lot of gentle rubbing of lovely lotions into Chris's hands, face and feet during his last days. Just slow and gentle and I would talk softly to him and it helped him to feel very calm.

I also kept lovely music playing quietly and scented candles burning. Everything I could think of to create a peaceful and calm ambiance for him and I'm sure these things all help.

You are doing an amazing job there xxx

Erika I'm holding you close in my thought. Much strength and peace for you.

Hugs,

Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back