11/2007
Country
FR
State
France
City
Bassussarry
Hello all,
A very dearly loved relative has been diagnosed with PLS (initially it was thought to be ALS, but this has now been revised). I wondered does anybody have experience of mood swings related to the illness itself, or is this more likley to be part of the hugely difficult process of coming to terms with the diagnosis ? Any help or input will be gratefully received - thanks very much in advance.

hi davvyb

emotional liability is common in pls,with outbursts/over exaggeration of crying or laughing.
personally i have more problems with suddenly crying.
i can have mood swings or should i say tantrums,this i know is down to frustration when i am over tired or if i can't do something right(omw i sound like a child:shock:.)
i scream and shout for 10 minutes(my barks worse than my bite:lol: ) then i am ok like nothings happened.
my son just leaves me to it and knows i need to get it out of my system.
it is frustrating to say the least when your body is no longer able to do what it should.
i hope this helps you understand your relatives emotional state a bit more.
take good care.
caroline

Sorry to say davvyb that it could be either. Emotional lability has drugs that can be prescribed to help with it. A general rage about the illness can be difficult. Some get over it in a couple of weeks and others need months to come to grips with it. Anti depressants can also be prescribed if depression goes on too long.

AL.

Thanks

Thanks very much for the input. I really appreciate it - horrible illness, but we're starting to come to terms with it. Thanks again.

Emotional Roller Coaster

As has been stated, the laughing/crying thing is part of the PLS bag of tricks. I have tried several anti-depressants for this. They did help with the laughing stuff but at a serious price...the sex life went down the tubes. Apparently, this is common with these meds. My Neuro and I are searching for other meds that will work without the side effects. Personally, I am not willing to give up sex for the control!

One other issue, I have tried Baclofen a few times and found it to be ineffective. However, you just can't stop it cold turkey. I was up to 50mg a day and stopped taking it too quickly...what a disaster! I went into a deep depression for a day. That was the first time I had ever felt like that...very unpleasant and unnerving. I am glad that it was from that because I am back to my normal self.

Kenny

If you look in the Research forum they are looking for people for a drug study of a new drug for eemotional lability.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back