Status
Not open for further replies.
Christians sharing hope with one another

For the benefit of Christians who might want to share things with one another, I wanted to let you know about the thread titled, "Christians sharing hope with one another".

It seems many are not familiar with this thread. Please feel free to post and share with us.

God Bless
Capt AL

Oh yes, I see it on the map!

Capt AL, I looked up Geraldine on the Montana map. It's east of Great Falls and SE of Ft Benton on State Hwy 80. I love that area -- not so developed as our western part of the state. Our regional Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) office is in Great Falls, and we have good friends in Lewistown, southeast of Geraldine. We've gone on a different road, but have been over in that area quite a few times. Actually, our forum friend KateO is closer (Helena) than I am to your sister (in-law?).

Wow! 106 degrees! We actually had two days of 108 in July -- and hardly anybody has air conditioning here. We only had one day in July below 90, and mostly it was between 95-105. We 'bout died! It did cool down at night, though, usually into the mid-50s after those hot days; so we could cool the house down and start cool each morning. Our humidity is lower than yours, too, I bet.

Hey -- I wasn't among the PALS crowd when Katrina and Rita hit -- was Gulfport damaged in those storms? My grandson-in-law is from Waveland. His divorced parents' homes were both about destroyed by falling trees, I think. He's a policeman in Nevada, but went to MS and helped with police support and rescue for a week or two at that time. I hope your family and friends escaped the worst of it. :(

We had winds of 165mph for over 6 hours and tornadoes all over the place. A thirty foot storm surge took out all the houses and businesses on the beach. My son had a home 2 blocks from the beach and lost everything, my mother in law lost her home. My wife and I were spared the worse of it because we are on high ground north of the interstate I-10. We still lost about 35 trees and had to replace the roof.

Last night our low actual temp was 82, high today 102. Power bills for ac are killing us. I wish I could afford to move up there in Montana, but we will be fine here.

If there are any Christians on this thread I wanted to let you know about a Thread called, "Christians sharing hope with one another". It's a good place to encourage one another and share stories.

God Bless
Capt AL

Wow!

Al, did your son and mother-in-law get help to rebuild? What an ordeal for all of you there! What about FEMA? Were they any good in your area? Did the insurance companies come through?

I just went to your My Space page and enjoyed looking at all your family pictures, including the one from your trip to Montana! What a nice-looking bunch, including your bearded self. I'm jealous of those red-headed kids (grandkids?). I thought for sure I'd get a redhead in our bunch -- my grandparents were both redheads, and I had three carrot-top aunts and uncles. But I guess I didn't have the gene to pass on to my kids. I always told my daughters they HAD to marry a red-headed man, so of course they wouldn't have anything to do with any boy who even had sandy hair! :-D

And I just re-read all the posts on the "Christians Sharing Hope" thread, and left you a heartfelt "Attaboy" there. I wish I could share my faith in such an uplifting way as you do! Way to go, Al!

Katrina & Fema

My family which has 4 children and 15 grand children did not receive one penny of help from FEMA or any other organization. The insurance companies are still in court fighting and refusing to pay claims. So much for the "Good Hands people".

My son who lost everything is an er doctor so he was able to take care of his own family as well as help other members of the family. My poor Mother in law died of bone cancer after seeing what was left of her house. She went and stayed with her other daughter in Montana that I was talking about. She kept saying she wanted to go to HER home. She never understood or accepted that she no longer had a home to go to.

After things settled down and we go power, water, etc. we brought her back to Mississippi, and soon thereafter had to put her in the hospital. She was surrounded by family as she passed away. I think she just gave up when she lost her home.

There are thousands of stories like her's here still. We still have over 16,000 people living in FEMA trailers and they are getting sick from the formaldehyde gases in the trailers. America seems to lost focus on the plight of the Katrina victims. They are more worried about Paris Hilton latest "news" than caring about our own citizens. We had a 80 year old lady in a wheelchair living in a tent on her own property for 6 months, before she got a fema trailer. It is sad to hear all the horror stories.

Enough of the negative stuff. Everyone have a great weekend.
God Bless
Capt AL

Carol -

How was the Missoula IceBreakers conference last month? I chickened out of going at last minute...

Since then I have discovered that a friend of mine, whose father died of ALS, is one of organizers behind effort to get more support for those of us with ALS living in Montana.

I just got back from the Hopkins ALS Center last week. I am so grateful I am being seen there. They are willing to work with my local internist.

I may be travelling to Missoula next month. I can't remember how far out of Missoula you are?

All the best,
Kate

Hi, KateO!

Oh, I'm so glad to see your post! I've been worried about you ever since we didn't see you at the conference. Did you read my posts where I said I brought home a bundle of reading material/references for you? If we get together I can give 'em to you. We live near Hamilton, about 50 mi. south of Missoula. Maybe I could come in to Missoula and meet you. We could have lunch or something if you'd like that.

Since then, Mike and I walked at the Missoula Walk to D'Feet ALS on 9/22 and found it most inspiring! We walked with some people we met at the Ice Breakers conference. They came all the way from Billings for both events. I've been bugging all my family and friends ever since for pledges/donations.

Let me know what you want to do.
Carol

Carol -

Sorry you were worried about me! I just now read your earlier post. If I can figure out out to IM you, I'll do that. That's not an option on mine - since I am concerned about privacy and had a bad experience with IM on another Forum..

I'd love to get those materials from you. I too am very slow progressing. I am 47 years old. How old are you? I'll try to IM you.

Thanks for reaching out. I appreciate it.

I have purposely been staying away from the Forum past month or so. It really is better for me NOT to spend too much time here. I really want to focus on living and being present for my two children, 11 and 14 - and, my husband - AND work!

Hope we can figure out the IM stuff. I tried earlier and it didn't work.

KateO

KateO, You can click on my name on the post above yours (the blue link). It'll take you to my Profile page, I think. There you'll find another link to send a private message (PM). I'll look forward to hearing from you. Carol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back