Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
NC
City
Carrboro
i've reached a point where i cannot get up by myself from lying down etc... i use bipap most of the day.
my family wants me to have a monitoring / alert system (panic button) when i'm alone.
any recommendations?

Adrian ... I use a firm called "Get Help Now, Inc." They seemed the most flexible in accommodating my lack of speech. They are supposed to ask me only yes and no questions, but that doesn't help now, as nobody can even distinguish between yes and no anymore. But if they don't get a response they can understand, they notify 911.

They provided a lockbox with a key in it for the front door. The give the combination to responders.

It's a local firm ... or at least they have a local address. May be a franchise. I am very happy with them, and have used the button twice in the last couple of months for my husband. In both cases, they had an ambulance here within 15 minutes, and called later to make sure everything had been resolved.

Also, they give you forms to fill out about medical conditions, and a sticker for front door saying "look on refrigerator door." This being LA, I don't like notifying the passing public that there are two helpless people inside the house, so haven't used the sticker.

I think they are all pretty much the same. This is only my own experience but I'm happy with them.

Hi Adrian,

When Andy needed a help button, the ALS Clinic (Hershey PA) provided one for him along with paying the monthly fee. (The fee was picked up by ALSA) Once he was unable to push the button, we switched to a voice activated phone. Once the voice phone no longer recognized his voice, he was no longer alone, unless he was online at his computer, where he could text via his email program. I also believe there are other contraptions on the market, such as a pillow switch or some kind of alarm that can be activated by pushing it with an elbow. Just wanted to give you some food for thought. Blessings, Pam

Last edited:
I don't know if you have in the US, but mum had a button around her neck that once she pushed it, it called my brother, my uncle then me. it would play a recorded message when answered so we knew who it was. You can get others that if it is unanswered by family, it would go to ambulance service.

I have one in the UK as well, can be worn around neck or as a bracelet. The only concern I have with these, is, when your fingers get weak, it becomes more difficult to press the button. I understand they must not be too sensitive as they get pressed all the time, but I do wonder how much longer I can press mine. Something to watch for if you are considering getting one.

My dad has the Lifeline by Philips and sounds very much like what Beth described. He still has use of his hands and arms so he wears his as a bracelet although it looks more like a watch. It's only necessary when my mom goes out for an hour or two.

HOWEVER, and this is a big however, last week it stopped working. Just stopped. The lights went out. My mom told my dad to press the button to test it and nothing so my mom called the company and they said a technician would call her and then they'd send someone over. Four hours went by and no one called so my mom called them again and they said as soon as someone was available to call, they'd call. My mom had to go out but she waited around the entire rest of the day and no one called until the next day. We were not impressed!

We had an interesting episode with ours. We were in ITALY for a month. The alarm , in London, started calling my husband. It said low battery alert. Then it called my daughter, who is next in line. THEN we got a call from the call centre who were about to call the police to break in. Nice to know the system works though..............

Thank you all--good info! I see now that they require a "land-line" telephone, so i'm getting vonage re-installed. theyre apparently only useful from home, so i guess i need a cell/mobile too. i see that some have a "i'm ok" button that you have to push at least once every so many hours--i.e. it will call for help if you do NOT push the button. i'll ask at clinic on tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back