Diagnosis
10/2007
Country
US
State
CA
City
Claremont
My mom found out she has ALS, my GP says it's not hereditary. What are the chances?

slim.

try not to worry. focus on your mom and loving her. I think It is less than 10%. maybe someone else can give a more accurate percentage.

I do understand. my grandfather died 2 years ago of alzhiemers, now everytime my mom gets forgetful she worries alittle about having it. but you cant live that way. so we joke with her about. I even came over and said, here are the kids-you said you would watch them today. She was like "what, I did. OH no!" and my sister and I started laughing and told her no, just joking you. So, lighten up and save your energy for your mom. Laughing really is the best medicine. ( I realize it may be to soon)

If you need advice for her care there are so many loving and caring folks who will share information with you.

Good luck and peace to all in your family,

april

Hi Lissa. There is a 5 to 10 per cent chance of ALS being familial. As your mom is the first ? in your family that would make the odds smaller. We do have a couple of people here that have done more figuring the numbers but if I was you I'd be worrying more about being hit by a bus.
AL.

Thanks Al and April,

It is mentioned several times in the Bible not to worry, it's hard with every little cramp and twinge. It just snuck up on my mom, it only took 4 weeks to diagnosed her. Now she can only move her right fingers and right foot.

I guess I should enjoy my life with my wonderful husband and 3 sons and watch out for buses, especially those with ALS adverisements. LOL. That was bad. huh?

Al, I got your PM, again thanks.

Lissa

no it is not bad, keep joking! laughing is the best!

Well, that's the first. Lately, I upset alot of people because I say exactly what I think or dead on honest. So when Al said I had a better chance of getting hit by a bus, the movie "Final Destation" came to mind.

Thanks,

Lissa

I know what you mean. I am not always sure how my sense of humor will come across. I have to forego alot of what my first response is! that is what is great about typing, it gives you time to re-think, in person I speak before thinking. Oh well, life is to short for people to worry or get upset about small things!

My Mam too

Hi Lissa,

My Mam was diagnosed in Nov-07. The progression is fast but certainly not as fast as with your Mom. Mam can just about use a zimmerframe now but will only try if me or my sister is present. So far we have coped well with developments but today Mam had a real painful body spasm that affected her face, neck, back, hips, legs and ankles. I am sure this is the progression of the illness but I am trying to find out if it is likely to occur again, more often, how much worse it has become. To be honest it was scary because for the first time ever Mam really needed me to comfort her.

In general I can subscribe to the humourous approach; perhaps not so much this afternoon, but in general I certianly do. Mam has been butt of many a joke from me and she has expressed her thanks for that. I thank her for the courageous way she dealt with the news: being a believer has certainly helped her and to a good degree us too.

Send your Mom my best and say hello from Middlesbrough, UK.

I glad ya'll understand. Mom does mind being the brunt of my joke either, she always was so why stop now.

God bless all of us and I know in many ways he has and will always. :-D

Oh, I forgot. What is a zimmerframe?

It's a walker!

Oh, I forgot. What is a zimmerframe?

From Wikipedia

"The British English common equivalent term for a walker is Zimmer Frame - from Zimmer Holdings, a major manufacturer of such devices and joint replacement parts."

Just want you to know my mom got her official ALS diagnosis about 4 months ago, and I have been really, really, really stressed about it being hereditary as well. I think I might not otherwise be, but I have horrible muscle twitching.

I understand.

how is your mom's doing? what is thier progression so far? are you going to be helping them?
I will pray your family's. MY mom was really sick 3 years ago, it looked really grim and it was so hard on my sisters and I emtionally. she is fine today, but I cant ever forget the feeling of somthing wrong with your mom. NOTE: now my mother in law whom I am close with is under going a biopsy on liver for a large mass. she is our "rock". I understand.

Take care,

april

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back