Diagnosis
09/2008
Country
US
State
New York
City
Fishkill
Good news! Mom finally got her power wheelchair. Most of it was covered by medicare and insurance and MDA paid $2000. We only had to pay $1400. Now we can go places without me killing my back and arms carrying everything, and pushing her at the same time. We went out to BJ's which is a large store with WIDE aisles. Mom did great! She got to shop for herself. She hasn't been to a store since before Christmas last year. Then last weekend we had a barbeque and she was outside and wheled herslef aroung from person to person and had such a good time. She lookd great. Gained 6 pounds. We just had our driveway blacktopped ( Just moved into our house in April) so Mom can get around outside better ( it is a HUGE driveway...over 2200 square feet). We feel so blessed! Just had to share the good news!

Great news Laura!

I am so glad to hear the news. Tell her to watch out for dips in the grass in the yard. I have a habit of getting my wheelchair stuck in those. :-D

Capt Al,
She has already gotten stuck......she is so funny...tore up the grass!

Great news Laura , not the grass , the wheelchair ...lol..I bet both of you have found shopping freer . I'm on a priority waiting list for one and can't wait so I can get out on my own instead of someone having to push me round in this one . xx

thats awesome :) tell her to watch her not to speed around too much...lol

POWER CHAIR = FREEDOM. Watch your toes! Happy for your mom!

I am so happy for the both of you! She will enjoy the new found freedom the chair gives.

That's great! I hope your Mom finds her new freedom exhilarating!

Great news. Enjoy!

Great news! Watch out for those wheelies!8)8)8)

Fantastic news Laura. She is getting out of the house and enjoys that freedom. I am happy for her.

I can see headlines in the local tabloid.

"Laura's Mom goes Cougar in local bar"
Last night , Cougar pounces on young hunks with pickup lines like "You like my Wheels?" "Hey handsome , wanna go for a ride" and "This is MY JOYSTICK"

Glen

Glen.
You are hysterical...thanks for the laugh.

That is fantastic news - my Dad's in the process of trying to get an automated wheelchair. They lent him a demo and the first night he had it he took it for a drive down the street and didn't tell anyone....that got quite a reaction, but him telling me the story on the phone with his excitement of new found freedom just warmed my heart. I can't wait for him to officially get his....it's a long process isn't it?

I have 3 dogs and as soon as i got my wheel chair I would take them for long walk around the neighborhood. They loved it. As soon as they see me pick up a lease they come running. Ready to go sniff and smell everything.
If you do this; use one of the automatic leases that rolls itself back up, so when someone else or a car comes by you can reel them in.
Great fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back