Status
Not open for further replies.
New Support Group Gulfport Ms.

Good point Joel.

It helps to have a local dealer that can fix any problems and return it to you asap. I bought a used Acer that I like because it is light weight. I was told it had a dual core processor when I bought it, only to discover that it did not have one. It still works well for me for what I need. I have a desktop computer that I use most of the time, but here lately I'm having trouble sitting upright for very long. I can use the laptop in my lounge chair laid back or my wheelchair in a reclining position.

I'm starting to have trouble swallowing more than before and there are days when my speech is weak, so I am trying to get ready ahead of time with the Model Talker program.

Thanks Carol for the update. I just switched computers for my desktop and almost lost all my recordings. I was finally able to get a copy off a cd I had backed up them onto. I will back it up to their site asap.

For anyone in the Gulfport Ms, area there is a MDA support group that also has ALS patients and their family members if they would like to attend, that meets every 2nd Thursday of the month at 5 pm at Gulfport Memorial Hospital in classroom # 5. I was just informed of this by email from another forum member this morning. Glad to see maybe we can have a local support group. If you need more details e-mail me or pm me.

God Bless
Capt AL

Yes, Good Point

Yes, that is a good idea, joelc. I used to have a local computer guru who ordered and installed two desktop computers for me. She gave me some support afterwards, for a fee, but she more often than not would tell me to contact tech support at Gateway or Dell (1st and 2nd computers), which wasn't very doable and which left me feeling abandoned. It would be better to have a local supplier who would be able to give me any service or support I might need -- especially if I lose my voice and can't communicate normally.

Al, if I understand corrrectly, the purpose of uploading your recordings, besides having a backup, is so that they can take all those "nonsense" phrases in addition to the real words and phrases, and turn them into a finished program that will speak anything you type -- not only the exact things you recorded, but just about any combination of syllables. They recommend that you record your name, too, and other custom names/words/phrases which might have unique pronunciations, after you've finished uploading the 1649 prompts that come with the software. I think I read (on their website?) that your personalized synthetic voice sounds better after they finish processing it, too.

Cheers -- Carol

I'm anxious to get mine back from them and see how it works.

I was wondering I have slurred speech,but I have old tapes of me talking Is there anyway I can use does tapes to record word I said .Does it have the capability to take a voice off a tape recordor >Just a thought Pat

Slang Words?

Good idea Carol. I had not thought about names of friends, family members etc. Plus some words you might want to quote from the bible, like King James English don't translate to normal English.:-D

And you can always add your favorite slang words like nicknames, awe shucks, horse feathers, getrdone, etc.:-D

Have a great weekend.

God Bless
Capt AL

I know that this might sound goofy, but another thing you might consider recording is a few of your favorite songs or hymns so that your family can sing along with you. I really miss that with my dad. No great voice needed or even to carry a tune, its the spirit that counts.

Pat, my speech is not normal, either; but I figure it's better than it will be, and it's what people are used to now. I don't think there's any way to use your taped voice to do the Market Talker recordings, but at least you've got 'em.
Holly, it's too late for me to sing on tape -- my singing voice is so scratchy and weak it'd make my friends and loved ones cry. But actually, I have a couple tapes I made singing, and some playing the piano, before I ever knew I might need 'em for this. purpose. I don't think they can be used with Market Talker, either; do you know? But I'm glad we have them -- as you say, it's the spirit that counts.
Al, I did record a lot of things kinda like the slang words you mentioned. Endearments, "God bless you," "Love you so much!" and the like. I might do some more like the ones you said -- funny little personal sayings that wouldn't be pronounced accurately by synthetic speech.
Thanks for all the good ideas, folks. You're all great!

Montana Carol said:
I think I read (on their website?) that your personalized synthetic voice sounds better after they finish processing it, too.

Cheers -- Carol

I'm anxious to get mine back from them and see how it works.
Carol, I'd like to hear what you think of it too. Over the weekend I listened to some of the synthetic voices and "real" voices of some people who had done the Model Talker thing and was a bit disappointed with the robotic quality of it. As well, all of these people could speak more clearly than I can now.

Yeah, those synthetic voices at the Market Talker website sound sorta like somebody on a cell phone that's cutting in and out, don't they? But it'll be better than nothing, if it becomes my only alternative. I'll let you know what I think of it when I get it. Carol

I Got My Synthetic Voice!

I finally got my synthetic voice file for use with Model Talker. It's not perfect, since my voice wasn't perfect when I did my recordings; but it's sure wonderful to have it; and I wouldn't trade it for the sample voices at the Model Talker website. Some things sound really like my own speaking voice. I'm very grateful to have it, for when I can't talk at all. Carol

I would like to concur with Montana Carol. I completed my voice last spring. It's not perfect but is better than the builtin Windows voices. It's an important thing for people early in the disease to record the voice.

I can still talk now but have slurred speach. There is no way I could record the phrases clearly now. Not to mention the fatigue of the recording. It took me about a month of an hour a day to record the 1700 phrases.

The Invtool uses the speech decoding software in windows to determine whether you have spoken the sentence. I'm guessing now but they must do they same thing to map your voice onto the unique sound combinations.

I'm just waiting until I need it now.

Jim

MC,

See my posts on the other ModelTalker threads. But I want to add that EZ-Keys is expensive, but it has a pro-voice on it, and it has word prediction and you can use it even if you can only move one finger or toe, or even your eyes. MySkeletonKeys also has word prediction, and it's much cheaper, but it requires a keyboard. I was going to use my son's voice if my own was too far gone to suffice, but it wasn't.

Pappy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back