Diagnosis
03/2008
Country
US
State
PA
City
Union City
Can anyone give us info on acquiring a wheel chair mobility van? Is there any financial help available. My husband has applied with the VA but we seem to be getting put off. THey are very encourageing to us but nothing seems to be happening.

We are afraid he will be unable to use one before too long and time seems to be flying. He wouod like to visit his children before it gets too late. Any suggestionsa?

Look in the Used ALS Equipment for Sale! section on this forum. Otherwise you can google handicap vans or wheelchair vans, etc... There are several dealers you can find on the internet. Surely one would be near you. Also look at Craig's list. There are also a couple of sites that post individual private seller's adds. I believe Auto Trader is one.

As for financial help, check with Stu Millheiser on this site, as he has a foundation called "ALS Guardian Angels." You can apply online for a grant to help you get a van. Also check with "Project Mainstreet." I don't have any experience with the latter organization, but I have spoken several times to Stu @ ALS Guardian Angels.

Good luck to you and your husband!

Keep working with the VA and the PVA or veteran's affairs person that is helping you. Dad applied in Feb and has had his van about a month now. His van is brand new and worth the wait.

In the mean time maybe you could rent a van for trips. This website is good for information about accessibility and travel... http://abledata.com/abledata.cfm?pageid=113573&top=16052

BOSE,
Did you get the 4502 filled out and sent back for your auto grant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back