Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
UK
Hi, my apologies in advance if this post offends anyone that isn’t my intention at all I’m just seriously worried to the point it’s affecting my life and my mental health. So for months now I’ve experienced the odd twitch when lying in bed- thought nothing of it. However a couple weeks back I had a heavy feeling in my legs which subsided then left me with a weak feeling in my right hand and arm. I stupidly googled this symptom due to curiosity and MND came up, with twitching as another symptom which led me to thinking of my random twitches and terrified me. For the last 2 weeks now I’m experiencing twitching from my face all the way down to my feet, it’s just constant more so in my arms and legs but it can be literally anywhere. The weakness in my arm is also accompanied by random pains in it and the odd cramp feeling in my calf on a night time. The worry about this feeling in my hand and the constant twitches has me in tears with worry constantly as I’m only 22 year old and I have 2 small children. I ended up going to the doctors with my fears and I felt as though my fears were brushed aside and I was given tablets due to my extreme anxiety however these symptoms feel far too strong to me to just be anxiety. For the last few days I’ve experienced a feeling of mucus stuck in my throat that no matter how many times I cough or swallow won’t clear it or it comes back, it feels like a lump in my throat and pain in my sternum when swallowing. I’m just wondering if anyone shares any experiences similar to mine and thinks this could be MND, again apologises if this offends anyone I am just consumed by fear it has taken over my life and I just need to be heard out

A counselor even on line, as should be available, can hear you out, and indeed should. But you have answered your own question. Weakness, pain, twitches, all feed on themselves once you are sensitised by Google. The dry throat feeling can be anxiety, but can often be helped with drinking a bit more frequently, a sugar free cough drop or throat spray, a bit of heat.

Sleep, stress, posture in sleep and sitting/standing, diet, exercise/stretching can all play a role. It's not that everything is down to anxiety -- you started with some niggles that are amenable to some of the above. It's that they can mushroom and seem much worse than they are.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back